Games that increase vocabulary

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: Games that increase vocabulary

Post by doodles »

We found Freerice great for 11+ prep. Word comes up with three or four suggested meanings and you need to select correct one. It introduces a bit of a competitive edge and gets harder. Ds enjoyed it and was more than happy to do a bit a day.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What does it mean when people put FB at the end of a post ... sorry I don't know much!

Yes turning it into a board game would be a good idea.

Freerice - yes it looks great but it doesn't work for us because of what doesn't happen when you get questions wrong.

Must have another look at it and analyse what the issue is.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Right - my problem with freerice is this - if you get an answer wrong it tells you the correct answer, and then seems to test it again two or three goes later - so it's still fresh in your mind when it retests you. But you'll never see that word again I don't think as you move on up the levels. So you only get one shot at learning a new word. Chances of it being remembered a few days later are quite low.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

FB= Fatbananas :lol:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just found this:
http://www.vocabulary.co.il/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you for this - it looked very promising but then when you play the games they don't seem to cover as many words as one might expect.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Found this - looks some effort though:

http://iteslj.org/Techniques/Koprowski- ... ulary.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I tried finding some word games for my dc when they were younger without any luck. :( And it's true about Scrabble- only fun when you can use a dictionary :oops: .

We used to have a board game called 'Go to Press' (more of a grammar, proof editing, spelling skills game) but their cousins borrowed it and it hasn't been seen since :lol:

Wordplay looks interesting and now that dc are older, so does Taboo. Anyone tried 'Don't say it?'

Some decent vocab sites: Vocabulary A-Z com. It is an American site (but still useful) and it has some games you can play once you've selected your words. Now has a video explaining their vocabulary site. Not free though.

And some exciting puzzle books from Mindware. See also, a decent vocabulary book - good for the CEM test.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks. What do you mean by Wordplay? When I google it all kinds of different things appear and I get a bit lost ....
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

mystery wrote:Thanks. What do you mean by Wordplay? When I google it all kinds of different things appear and I get a bit lost ....
FB's link here: Wordplay.