Grammar and Punctuation help

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southbucks3

Re: Grammar and Punctuation help

Post by southbucks3 »

Peridot, you quite clearly have never edited our local rag, it has always been liberally filled with poor grammar, spelling and punctuation for as long as I can remember. Now just to enhance the quality further it has adopted red top slang such as "caged" for the word imprisoned. :roll:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Ah not that kind of editor sb3 thank goodness!
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you for all your answers.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Sorry, I didn't see this yesterday.

As a working (sometimes :lol: ) writer and editor I would absolutely agree with your daughter. It either has to be a comma at the end of the first bit of speech, or the word "whispered" should start with a capital W. As it stands it is definitely grammatically incorrect.

(SB3, as an aside, the Bucks Examiner and Bucks Advertiser aren't actually headquartered in Bucks any more, 'nuff said. They're part of the Trinity Mirror Group and they employ very few journalists or subs – look how many articles and photographs are "contributed", ie written or photographed by members of the public rather than employees of the newspaper group).
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Rob Clark wrote:Sorry, I didn't see this yesterday.

As a working (sometimes :lol: ) writer and editor I would absolutely agree with your daughter. It either has to be a comma at the end of the first bit of speech, or the word "whispered" should start with a capital W. As it stands it is definitely grammatically incorrect.

(SB3, as an aside, the Bucks Examiner and Bucks Advertiser aren't actually headquartered in Bucks any more, 'nuff said. They're part of the Trinity Mirror Group and they employ very few journalists or subs – look how many articles and photographs are "contributed", ie written or photographed by members of the public rather than employees of the newspaper group).

The bucks free press is part of newsquest, which is primarily a vehicle to sell advertising. No red top association that I know of, however they may he competing locally and wish to dumb down accordingly. Although the typos and auto correct blunders in my daily read, "I", the abridged Independent paper, make my typo filled ramblings on here seem almost coherent.
Out of interest do people get paid for their contributions to the trinity mirror group papers, or is it just about self publishing ego kicks, like parish mags?

Cannot contribute to the speech mark question as I have always been terrible at direct speech punctuation, I just blunder in putting commas and inverted commas everywhere there is a gap.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

SB£,

What is a "speach"? Is it some sort of exotic fruit?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I don't know what you are on about kcg? :wink:

Maybe a cross between a strawberry and a peach?

I wish I was:
SB£,
btw, I haven't got enough money to fill the car with petrol at the moment. :lol: