Sharing our Reading List...

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Member Suggestions for Reading Material

Post by Daogroupie »

Anne Frank's diary is part of the World War Two Topic for Y5 and Y6. I did it last year with a mixed Y5/Y6 and they loved it. The BBC serial is great. DG
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD yr6 has just finished Anne Frank and really enjoyed it. She did intersperse it with Gideon the Cutpurse as there wasn't any great change if pace.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I am reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke to DD at the moment. I'm finding it a chore but she seems to like it.

Eta (17th Feb. 2013): she doesn't like it after all.
jbambri

Post by jbambri »

Hi, first post so please forgive me for jumping straight in with a question! My 7yo DS (yr 3) is a really proficient reader, he has been through all the Roald Dahl books (twice, including the more difficult ones), all the Famous Five series and also Enchanted Wood. I'm a bit stuck on where to go next, I got some classics for him but I think they are a bit tricky at the moment, any recommendations for books somewhere in the middle? Im thinking Michael Morpurgo but I don't know if they'll capture his imagination at the moment, he really likes the silliness of Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton! Any ideas?

J x
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Just William Richmal Compton would be my vote.
Amber

Post by Amber »

jbambri wrote:Hi, first post so please forgive me for jumping straight in with a question! My 7yo DS (yr 3) is a really proficient reader, he has been through all the Roald Dahl books (twice, including the more difficult ones), all the Famous Five series and also Enchanted Wood. I'm a bit stuck on where to go next, I got some classics for him but I think they are a bit tricky at the moment, any recommendations for books somewhere in the middle? Im thinking Michael Morpurgo but I don't know if they'll capture his imagination at the moment, he really likes the silliness of Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton! Any ideas?

J x
Mr Gum series, Andy Stanton. They'll give you a laugh too.
jbambri

Post by jbambri »

Thank you for the replys, we got Mr Gum (which he read in two hours and was able to retell the entire story, will be getting those from the library from now on! :roll: ), Also got Just William which looks it will keep him busy a bit longer, thank you for the recommendations!!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

DS is reading 'Annexed' at the moment. This is a adaptation of The Diary of Anne Frank but from the perspective of Peter (the teenage boy also hidden in the attic with the Frank family). Lots of great discussion. We've also re-watched the TV series that the BBC made a couple of years ago.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Hi, first post so please forgive me for jumping straight in with a question! My 7yo DS (yr 3) is a really proficient reader, he has been through all the Roald Dahl books (twice, including the more difficult ones), all the Famous Five series and also Enchanted Wood. I'm a bit stuck on where to go next, I got some classics for him but I think they are a bit tricky at the moment, any recommendations for books somewhere in the middle? Im thinking Michael Morpurgo but I don't know if they'll capture his imagination at the moment, he really likes the silliness of Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton! Any ideas?

J x
Have you tried the David Walliams books? They are Dahlian in style.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

OK, I'm going to post again... I thought I'd found some answers via search engines but alas... :(

Looking for some real books for my Y1 pupils. Have quite a range of ability with some of them reading Roald Dahl and others keen to follow suit.

Can anyone recommend any books that their y1 dc are reading for pleasure at home atm? I've forgotten as my dc are in secondary school :oops:

Not interested in ORT or RWI as they get that given to them quite happily by TAs in school...and the kids are hungry for more.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now