Comprehension and creative writing

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eleven11plus

Comprehension and creative writing

Post by Eleven11plus »

Hi everyone, im looking for some tips on helping my child in improving his creative writing skills. I've seen the work he's currently producing and it lacks detail. He also avoids writing as he feels it's a laborious job.
Could you please suggest if tutoring will help or are there any books/things I can do at home to improve his creative writing skills. He does like reading and has a good reading speed. The plots he builds up are also good but they lack detail and don't really connect well. He's in year 4 and if I compared his recent work with his year 3 work, it hasn't improved a lot. He currently finishes a story in half a page which has a beginning, middle and ending but it's a confusing piece that gets produced.
Any ideas to boost his imagination on paper, improve his writing and making it less daunting would be really helpful.
Thanks a lot in advance.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Comprehension and creative writing

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I used to get my son who didn't like writing to read a range of short stories to improve his awareness of different genres. Also watching films helped...I encouraged him to try and include all the senses when he was writing a descriptive or creative piece - what does it smell like? - what can I see? - what can I hear? - what can I taste - what can I touch?...or what does it feel like etc.
PBARMum

Re: Comprehension and creative writing

Post by PBARMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I used to get my son who didn't like writing to read a range of short stories to improve his awareness of different genres. Also watching films helped...I encouraged him to try and include all the senses when he was writing a descriptive or creative piece - what does it smell like? - what can I see? - what can I hear? - what can I taste - what can I touch?...or what does it feel like etc.

Thank you, I'll try this with my son.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now