Habs 2014 English paper

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MCLC

Habs 2014 English paper

Post by MCLC »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some of the answers to this paper?

Q 12 specifically.
piggys

Re: Habs 2014 English paper

Post by piggys »

Can you link to the paper please?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Hi Piggys,

It's
http://fluencycontent-schoolwebsite.net ... plus14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

_____________________________________ ______________________________________________________________ [4]
12. The narrator says that if he could talk about his job, he would not have to do it. What do you think he means by this?

In the extract, this is taken from the following lines: If I could talk about it, I would not have to do it. I make art, sometimes I make true art, and sometimes it fills the empty places in my life.

He is an artist and his art is his way of expressing himself. He doesn't seem to be much of a conversationalist as his other answers to the expected questions seem to indicate. The narrative also is rather monotonous which further supports this. He seems to be quite disconcerted, which added to the 'funeral?' he just attended, the fact that he got lost and drawn to his childhood house, and the mention of the 'empty places in his life' point to something that may have happened in his past that is hard to talk about and is instead channeled into his art.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thank you very much!
Chai

Post by Chai »

My younger DD answered it this way last year, when I gave her the paper:

The writer is an artist and he believes that with art, you create it, you don't speak about it, because you express yourself through your creations. The writer is not a person who is able to communicate easily with other people and so prefers to keep to what he is doing. If he had to tell everyone and explain to everyone his creations, then he would not need to do it at all because art can be interpreted in so many ways and different people will have different thoughts and ideas about a piece of art. Sometimes, he is able to make real and concrete his intentions and what he imagines through art. Sometimes, even if he tries, he is unable to express his thoughts and intentions perfectly through his art forms.

I did tell her four marks means 4 things. So you can see about 4 things that she has mentioned here.

I am copying it word for word here, from her paper, which we are shredding this weekend (amazing that we still have it....but not for long. We can't wait to put it through the machine. And no more 11+ to worry about ever again!). She did not do the Habs 11+. We just used it as a practice paper which I then marked and went through with her. I guess no answers are provided because this type of question is open-ended and calls for intepretation. They are looking for the child's opinions and thoughts and as long as it sounds plausible in the context of the text, it should be acceptable.

Edited to include: I just looked at mark scheme and it is 5 marks, not 4. Sometimes, with 5 marks, they also want to look at structure of sentences and whether the answers flow grammatically. That is certainly the case for the Essex CSSE English exam, particularly the answer in one sentence and in your own words type of question.