Waiting for Kendrick and Reading 2015 allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: Waiting for Kendrick and Reading 2015 allocation

Post by Tinkers »

We knew how GL standardised, so the Kendrick calculator (see duffers guide) and similar could tell you what mark to get into the top 96, so we knew what score would definitely get a place.
Given previous years, we knew that typically the top 120 got places, give or take a few and we could work that out too, so we could guess what the cutoff might actually be. Less issues with ooc girls as they could move Into catchment if they wanted a place and possibly less ooc girls taking it.

This year we have no idea the impact of lots of extra Slough sitters or whether CEM have standardised the same or not.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

I would have thought standardisation process would be same but I could be wrong.
Any clues from Slough/Bucks results about CEM standardisation?

What was the previous(GL) standardisation method?
Forgot to ask, in previous years was it top 30% of the total number that qualified or 30% of the scores?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

GL used 100 as the average mark and 15 as the SD. There was lots of discussion on here about whether CEM have done the same. I suspect they have but others have disagreed, with their reasons and I suspect their stats knowledge is much better than mine.
Slough have seemingly done something different as the score range is much larger and have a higher qualifying mark too. Again I have no idea what they have done.

How they standardised isn't the main factor though, I think that the number of ooc girls taking the test is going to make more of an impact.
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

Even after adjusting for the bigger range of scores in Slough, RBS scores have been very low compared to Slough which indicates that a lot of boys in Reading catchment who were not included in Slough results have performed very well.

I know there are 12 extra places this year but I expect first round of allocations for RBS would be closed above 114. Would be happy to be proven wrong on 2nd March. Those who scored above 117 for RBS can be sure of a place.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Even after adjusting for the bigger range of scores in Slough, RBS scores have been very low compared to Slough which indicates that a lot of boys in Reading catchment who were not included in Slough results have performed very well.
I thought this due to a difference in standardisation across the two schools, right?
Not sure of we have figure somewhere that says how many boys sitting at Reading ticked the Share with Slough box. Slough cohort is vast and catchments vary so it will be very complicated to go round that way though.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Reading2015 wrote:Even after adjusting for the bigger range of scores in Slough, RBS scores have been very low compared to Slough which indicates that a lot of boys in Reading catchment who were not included in Slough results have performed very well.

I know there are 12 extra places this year but I expect first round of allocations for RBS would be closed above 114. Would be happy to be proven wrong on 2nd March. Those who scored above 117 for RBS can be sure of a place.

Historically RBS last allocation number has not been too far away from the cut off mark of that year. Yes I appreciate that there is uncertainity this year because we don't know how many of OCC have qualified with high score but RBS knew from day 1 who are OCC and will not be elligible for a place. I think based on that they might have chosen the cutoff marks for this year. A good chunk of high achieving students from IC usually go for private schools as they are offerred high scholarships/bursaries.

I will be really surprised if the cut the off for 2015 Sep entry (the last student from waiting list getting through) will be any higher than 115 most probably in the range of 113-115. This is my guesstimate based on my own hunch :D
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Other Schools have given out much more information than RBS and Kendrick.
Tifiins have told OOCs that sufficient ICs have qualified so there is no realistic chance for OOCs. Latymer has given a rank and 2/3 different letters.

I don't understand why Kendrick and RBS has kept have kept this information secret. Giving out IC/OOC qualifying numbers many IC and OOC parents to make an informed decision. Can this information be obtained under 'Freedom of Information' act?
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

I think RBS and Kendrick are hesitant to publish ic/occ numbers because technically last day to move into catchment was 20th Jun but application forms from some parents planning to move into catchment could have been received with occ address before that deadline. Therefore schools cannot be 100% sure of ic/occ numbers. They did say to one of the parents on this forum they cannot provide this info because it could be "misleading".
Last edited by Reading2015 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Interesting information Reading2015.

Is this because the LEA verifies address not the school?
Reading2015

Post by Reading2015 »

Ah, RBS worded their admission policy differently:
. In order to be considered as living in the designated area, your address on 20th June 2014 will be the address that is used.
http://www.reading-school.co.uk/uploads ... 2016_2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;