Transport from Hounslow to Herschel Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Khullarssg

Transport from Hounslow to Herschel Grammar School

Post by Khullarssg »

Hi,
I am keen to connect with parents planning to send their child from Hounslow to Herschel Grammar school.
Currently looking at car share options / private coach. Would be grateful if someone can share or connect with me.
Thanks.
scary mum

Re: Transport from Hounslow to Herschel Grammar School

Post by scary mum »

There are some concerns when considering a car share, which have been posted before, see below

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?
scary mum
Khullarssg

Post by Khullarssg »

scary mum wrote:There are some concerns when considering a car share, which have been posted before, see below

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?
Many Thanks for sharing the check-list, quite useful :)
However, still think I would review it as an option if it saves time and provides ease of travel to the kids.
Hasmukh panchal

Post by Hasmukh panchal »

Hi

My daughter goes to herschel grammar started September 17. We live in hayes wondering if car share could help or pick up drop sharing by both parents would be better. Please advice
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Hasmukh panchal wrote:Hi

My daughter goes to herschel grammar started September 17. We live in hayes wondering if car share could help or pick up drop sharing by both parents would be better. Please advice
Train to Slough then bus.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

ToadMum wrote:
Hasmukh panchal wrote:Hi

Train to Slough then bus.
Exactly. Compared to some of the journeys people undertake, this one's relatively easy. 45 minutes on public transport and the journey times will be (reasonably) consistent. Driving that journey by car or coach could take anything from 25 minutes to well over an hour.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Public transport is also much more flexible, allowing your DC to participate fully in school life, including after school clubs and sporting fixtures, or just making a spontaneous decision to hang out with friends for a while to relax at the end of the school day. School is more than just showing up for your five hours of tuition a day and doing your homework.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Like TM, I'm also a big advocate for public transport. It's usually more flexible, it's usually cheaper than most private transport (unless you get free transport of course) and it's less hassle for the parents. Your DCs are supposed to be bright, they should be able to navigate public transport!

I understand that some parents look at their little year 6s and think they are way too litttle to be let loose in the real world. Trust me, they will be fine. Give them practice over the summer holidays if it's not a route they are familiar with. The result will be a DC who is much more confident about getting themselves around in general and your services as a taxi driver at other times may also be reduced.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

+1

My son started Y7 last week - it's a fairly straightforward train journey to his school from home, but ALL THAT WAY! ON HIS OWN! I was terrified but he was fine. The worst bit is crossing the 4-lane A-road near our house, but he's been doing that on his own since Y6 so I really need to stop worrying about it...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I forgot to add.

I don't know about other schools, but DD's school understand that public transport sometimes can cause students to be late, so don't give them a hard time about it. However if parents are taking them to school the school take a harder line about lateness, especially if it's not a one off.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now