Back up Seondary schools in Taplow/Burnam area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: Back up Seondary schools in Taplow/Burnam area

Post by Tinkers »

On phone on way to work so will look later. ME has allocated to about a mile in previous years but numbers are increasing. So move nearer.
There’s nowhere you could be to get Holt and ME. Catchments don’t overlap
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Back home now and can look up the info I have stashed away for such occasions.

Bulmershe offered to 2.177 miles ooc this year, 6.92 miles last year, a significant drop mainly in part due to its increasing popularity.

Holt offered IC to 3.027 miles this year. Last year they offered to a combined distance of 6.780 miles. This is a change of admissions policy. Thy used to take the combined distance to Holt and Forest (the equivalent boys’ School) and use that. Now they just use the radial distance, so half of 6.78 miles wouldn’t be too far off.

Maiden Erlegh. This year 1.029 miles, last year 1.01 miles. In catchment children only.

Maiden Erlegh in Reading doesn’t have a catchment but uses feeder primary schools. If your DC is at one of the feeder schools then the should get a place. If not this year they Offered to 0.86 miles, last year to 1.164 miles.

Given the increasing numbers coming through, I would bank on all of those distances reducing year on year.

All these schools are very popular. Until recently Bulmershe wasn’t so much, but has improved considerably. In the past, practically everyone in ME catchment would choose ME. This year I have friends who would have definitely got ME or MER that have actively chosen Bulmershe. Another friend has a son in year 12. They wouldn’t even consider Bulmershe at 11, and he has just moved there for sixth form and is much happier.

You would definitely have to look at all of them. They are very different schools.

There are other decent schools in Wokingham, such as Waingels and Piggot to the north and St Crispins and Emmbrook. However I don’t know those quite as well. The only WBC School that is not so hot at the moment is Forest, but since that’s a boys’ school you don’t need to worry about that.

ETA I forgot Oakbank and Bohunt schools. I don’t know much about either, but Bohunt is oversubscribed.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

More info on ME allocation distances with a map.

http://hamiltonit.co.uk/Tools/google_ma ... chment.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And for MER (though it doesn’t have this year on yet).

http://hamiltonit.co.uk/Tools/google_ma ... chment.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

hi Tinkers,
Firstly, thank you so much for taking your time to share the valuable information. It's been really helpful and gives a good insight on the catchment distances. If we've to move to any of the nearby places to these schools ( to be within the catchment area), should that be before 31st October18 where CAF would be submitted or you think every school has its own criteria and should I be checking with School Admissions team?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It will be best to check each individual schools’ admissions policy. I’ve got a sneaking suspicion ME may have a more stringent address rule now, as there has been lots of talk about address fraud in the past (I don’t know quite how real that actually is). If MER is of interest then you’ll need to check which primary schools are feeder schools if you want to try and get in via that route.

Your other issue will be trying to find a local primary school place as well.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Tinkers wrote:It will be best to check each individual schools’ admissions policy. I’ve got a sneaking suspicion ME may have a more stringent address rule now, as there has been lots of talk about address fraud in the past (I don’t know quite how real that actually is). If MER is of interest then you’ll need to check which primary schools are feeder schools if you want to try and get in via that route.

Your other issue will be trying to find a local primary school place as well.
Thank you Tinkers. I called up the ME school today to find about admission policy and catchment areas for 2019. They referred me to the wokingham borough council website , to find the catchment area based on postcode/house num. and street. However when I tried it its just showing 'no results' !! ( and I used nearby postcode)
https://wokingham.maps.arcgis.com/apps/ ... 9291d002bb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I called them again and strangely it seems working at their end!
I tried on my laptop/iphone but no luck.

For ME Reading , seems they follow the admission rules of Reading council (Reading.gov.uk)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes ME is on Wokingham and MER is in Reading (hence the name :lol: ). They are not that far apart though in the real world.

Wbc’s admissions search website doesn’t work for me either, so not just you. Anywhere that is ME catchment is also Bulmershe catchment (but not vice versa). Holt is part of a bigger shared catchment with forest, Emmbrook and St Crispins (at least it was when I last checked).

The links I gave you for ME cutoffs show the catchment in green, if that helps, with the circles showing the actual distance for allocations. Since MER work on feeder schools they don’t have one. From memory the primary schools include Alfred Sutton, Redlands, Newtown, St Johns and Earley St Peter’s (not a RBC primary but right on the border so has a lot of Reading children there) plus a few others that I can’t remember.

If you do move locally, you’ll apply to which ever LA you live in.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Tinkers wrote:Yes ME is on Wokingham and MER is in Reading (hence the name :lol: ). They are not that far apart though in the real world.

Wbc’s admissions search website doesn’t work for me either, so not just you. Anywhere that is ME catchment is also Bulmershe catchment (but not vice versa). Holt is part of a bigger shared catchment with forest, Emmbrook and St Crispins (at least it was when I last checked).

The links I gave you for ME cutoffs show the catchment in green, if that helps, with the circles showing the actual distance for allocations. Since MER work on feeder schools they don’t have one. From memory the primary schools include Alfred Sutton, Redlands, Newtown, St Johns and Earley St Peter’s (not a RBC primary but right on the border so has a lot of Reading children there) plus a few others that I can’t remember.

If you do move locally, you’ll apply to which ever LA you live in.
Thank you Tinkers. That helps. I'll do some research based on this.
In between, if moved into the Wokingham borough ( E.g. Earley), as per their LA rules , the maximum schools that can be applied in CAF would be 4? And for Reading would that be 6? any idea?

Interestly when I asked the Wokingham council admissions team about the last date of moving into the catchment area for thier schools ( E.g. ME in earley) they said there is no time limit and I can move anytime. But I doubt that as I beleive it should be before 31stOct which is the end for CAF. Correct me if I'm wrong.
However Reading council admissions team mentioned that it should be before 31Oct18.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

The way this thread is developing it would be better off moved to the Berkshire section, where it would get help from the "locals" on there.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

anotherdad wrote:The way this thread is developing it would be better off moved to the Berkshire section, where it would get help from the "locals" on there.

As a ‘local’ I think I agree, I’d forgotten where it was. Time for a move.