Transport from Hounslow to Herschel

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NavBal

Transport from Hounslow to Herschel

Post by NavBal »

Anyone who is currently travelling from Hounslow to Herschel Grammar School or who has an offer? Please could you provide some recommendations or guidance.
Aethel

Re: Transport from Hounslow to Herschel

Post by Aethel »

that sounds like one heck of a daily commute…. Hershel
is on the “wrong” side of Slough….

the most practical route seems to be driving up the M4 to the Slough/Windsor junction.
spidy

Post by spidy »

For public transport: yes. Herschel is a challenging commute.
For car/coach: Herschel is quicker and has multiple traffic free routes including bath road and M4
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Spidy, it may be you live near a different Bath Road than I do….

the A4 (Bath Road) is definitely not “traffic free” at school/rush hour and it can take forever to get upnand down it
Most children don’t have a parent willing/able to do two school runs a day for 5-7 years every weekday.

The “quickest route” from Hounslow to Hershel by car is 35-40 minutes PLUS TRAFFIC TIME each way, up the M4 and Farmham Road. But that’s each way, so the parent who drives them will be doing a 1.5-2 hour round trip twice daily. It’s your time, of course….
NavBal

Post by NavBal »

I think I wanted to find out if there were existing children doing a coach service and could share the details.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

NavBal wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:59 pm I think I wanted to find out if there were existing children doing a coach service and could share the details.
I would ask the school, they will know even if they don't organise it themselves.
scary mum
spidy

Post by spidy »

Aethel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:16 am Spidy, it may be you live near a different Bath Road than I do….

the A4 (Bath Road) is definitely not “traffic free” at school/rush hour and it can take forever to get upnand down it
Most children don’t have a parent willing/able to do two school runs a day for 5-7 years every weekday.

The “quickest route” from Hounslow to Hershel by car is 35-40 minutes PLUS TRAFFIC TIME each way, up the M4 and Farmham Road. But that’s each way, so the parent who drives them will be doing a 1.5-2 hour round trip twice daily. It’s your time, of course….
Yes. I do live at a different approach to Bath road :-). I am at Feltham and the bath road that when we join is just afterHeathrow. I agree that it would be way different for a someone travelling from Hounslow Central that is the start of bath road.
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

There is a coach that travels along Bath Road to Burnham Grammar. Children are re-grouped at the junction near Novotel (near M4J4) and take appropriate coaches from there. I cannot name them here at the risk of losing my access to this website.

In the past Herschel used to make transportation options available on their website. Haven't needed to check lately. Maybe a useful research?
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now