waiting list question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum1115

waiting list question

Post by mum1115 »

hi

Just wondering if not offered my DD preferred grammar on 1st March who we phone to find out where she is on a waiting list. Do we phone the School, Birmingham Council or the council we applied through (Warwickshire)? I know it's early to ask, just trying to get prepared.

Many thanks
x
kenyancowgirl

Re: waiting list question

Post by kenyancowgirl »

All the information about contact details etc will be in the letter you receive on National Offers Day. Remember that waiting list info may be slightly delayed as there is a bit of to-ing and fro-ing right away so sometimes the list takes a bit of time to update initially.

Edited to add - not sure specifically about the Birmingham bit - I was referring to WCC as that is who you applied to - think some of the Birmingham GS the FO holds their wait list but one of the B'ham experts can confimr!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:All the information about contact details etc will be in the letter you receive on National Offers Day. Remember that waiting list info may be slightly delayed as there is a bit of to-ing and fro-ing right away so sometimes the list takes a bit of time to update initially.

Edited to add - not sure specifically about the Birmingham bit - I was referring to WCC as that is who you applied to - think some of the Birmingham GS the FO holds their wait list but one of the B'ham experts can confimr!

Yes, you need to contact the Foundation Office for the KE schools, and Birmingham people contacted Birmingham Council for Handsworth Boys, Sutton Girls and BV.
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

Thank you.
I guess getting through to the Foundation Office is pretty difficult the 1st few days? My DD is close to last years cutoff for CHG so trying to get our head round waiting list logistics
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes...and you need to remember a few things...whether you get through to them or not, will have no influence on where you are on the waiting list. Some people seem to think if they call that might make them seem "more keen"....makes not a jot of difference to that aspect. BUt...if you call early and get a position, you may find that a few days later you get a bit disheartened as you may find you have moved much further down the list, as late applicants, out of area or people who have asked to be added get slipped in in strict rank order. The list is a moveable feast - it goes up and down. My advice would probably wait a few days for the initial flurry to settle down and for all the accepting/rejecting of offered school places to go on - they won't know anything until that has happened - people will chirrup on here as to their child's score/rank before offers day and where they are on the waiting list so you will have a vague idea of where you sit - otherwise you could drive yourself mad!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agree with KCG re not contacting them.
- it is not unknown for there to be some odd glitches on allocation day where info has not been transferred correctly or there is some error in an application record. Means that people who are clearly eligible for a place (on score / distance or whatever) don't get the news on the day and there can be a bit of sorting out needed - the offices are all very busy dealing with these and definitely won't have details of a waiting list ready - and as KCG said it would be going up and down fairly wildly at that stage.
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

Thank you both, great advice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now