Will the cut-off score for more popular KE grammars go up?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

Re: Will the cut-off score for more popular KE grammars go u

Post by um »

Changing the topic slightly, I also wonder if, given that the examination was 10 weeks earlier than it has historically been held, the scores may not rise as much as we think - or could even drop?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

um wrote:Changing the topic slightly, I also wonder if, given that the examination was 10 weeks earlier than it has historically been held, the scores may not rise as much as we think - or could even drop?
It shouldn't make any difference as the scores are standardised against the actual marks achieved, not a predefined standard. For example a standardised score of 100 equates to the mean raw score - if the mean raw score falls, then the score required for a standardised score of 100 will fall correspondingly.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Just read the full newsletter kindly supplied by DIY mum. This is what it states :

The results for the entrance exam were available mid October with the school being inundated with telephone calls from prospective parents. There were 9 boys on the cut off score who were not offered a place due to large amount of entrants (4,600 and increase of 700 on last year). There may be a decision to raise the cut off score for next year.

Reading the above information I am convinced they are talking about this year entry rather than any historical information. It seems from above they have set the cut-off to be same as last year at 234 (or the minimum pass score as KenR described) and will raise it next year. However, they won't be offering to 9 candidates on 234 initially. This might come down if the waiting list kicks in based on parental preference on CAF.

Again I could be wrong :) Not long left now!

MSD
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

If that is this year and the cut off score is the same albeight safe then at 235 then just maybe the others are similar cut off scores too, maybe a point increase to be safe?
um

Post by um »

The mystery continues....will they hold a few places for children making appeals???
robotboy

Post by robotboy »

Actually, I'm hoping clever kids that sat the KES exam will get an offer to KES and free up some of the places which probably be offered to them from the other grammar schools.... :? :?
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Well I've now lost all hope of Ds getting in with his 213' not that I had much hope anyway!!!
Did wonder though why on the results letter it said scores are unlikely to drop under 200, I'm assuming this is to cut down on applications that scores are way below. Maybe they should have said under 215!!!
Not long now, I'm actually dreading it as actually seeing the allocation of our local comp makes me nauseous :(
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

Lottie78, i know how you feel, me too i want to know now but dreading looking! Be so disappointing if they miss out this year when their scores would have been good enough last few years! Dont want lical comp either even though iv bigged it up for ds sake! Roll on this next week, driving me nuts wondering!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

MSD wrote: The results for the entrance exam were available mid October with the school being inundated with telephone calls from prospective parents. There were 9 boys on the cut off score who were not offered a place due to large amount of entrants (4,600 and increase of 700 on last year). There may be a decision to raise the cut off score for next year.

Reading the above information I am convinced they are talking about this year entry rather than any historical information. It seems from above they have set the cut-off to be same as last year at 234 (or the minimum pass score as KenR described) and will raise it next year. However, they won't be offering to 9 candidates on 234 initially. This might come down if the waiting list kicks in based on parental preference on CAF.

Again I could be wrong :) Not long left now!
MSD
That's how I read it although, I'm aware it could be interpreted in other ways too.
But if it does work out like that then surely all the 9 on 234 would get in, and possibly pulling 1 or 2 dc who live near to chb on a score of 233 too :?: :!:

p.s. we get sent emails on Thursday at midnight- is that right?
Not long now...good luck everybody.
KenR

Post by KenR »

When was the newsletter sent out?

That will be key

Some of the cross LEA data exchanges don't complete until Jan
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now