CHB questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moseleymum

Re: CHB questions

Post by moseleymum »

The numerous threads KES v CHB can be found quite easily on a search using the search button at the top. It's quite easy to search
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ds=Kes+CHB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bottom line is personal preference and what suits your child :)
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

No signs of KEVIHS expanding but the grounds are looking pretty... :) and then there's new smart boards, new computers and an additional classroom for RS...
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Thank you moseleymum
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

um wrote:My ds1 is convinced that a teacher has told him that KECHB will expand by one class.
Apparently they do have a few spare classrooms and could build more.
They want to expand as the extra funding could allow the school to do/provide a lot more.
here is a quote of the July newsletter:
'In April, the school received news that its bid to receive funding from the Academies Capital Maintenance Fund to help build the ‘Southworth-Cookson’ Building had not been successful. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mark Duncan, Simon Palmer, the Architects and, especially, Philippa Cole (from the King Edward Foundation) for the effort invested in getting this project to the position of seeking planning permission. In the light of the changes to school funding (see next paragraph) the chances of this exciting building project being implemented in the future are quite low.'
So unfortunately, it doesn't seem that CHB will be able to expand in the very near future...
um

Post by um »

Hmm, ds1 (not exactly the best comprehension candidate in the world but there you go) insists that a senior staff member told his whole class that the school would expand by an extra class.
There was no indication of when this would happen or even if it would happen reasonably soon.
If I was them, I'd do it before the next election...
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Sorry um, I posted this excerpt quickly, without taking the time to balance this info with your DS report. Of course, a senior staff member can't be so sure and report such a thing to his class with no foundation. So maybe there has been so nice news for CHB recently which we haven't heard about yet! :D

Hopefully, Bamboo will update us with all the latest news after his attendance at the open evening!
Bamboo

Post by Bamboo »

Hi.

I'm no longer sure I can make it to the open events this Friday / Saturday. From our previous attendances it is definitely our first choice (results pending) so I'm not going to break my neck to attend.

I therefore just phoned the school instead to ask the question outright! "Are you planning to increase the intake next academic year?" The receptionist who answered was surprised by the question and said she thought not - she asked around the office, and came back with a fairly confident no, not to their knowledge.

If anyone else attends this weekend and can also ask, possibly ask Mr Roden himself, that should definitively confirm or deny the rumour!

I personally have mixed feelings - this would keep the threshold high and thus less chance of my son getting in, but not sure how I would feel about my son getting in to a larger intake and always be the year group putting pressure on space... I don't aspire for him to sit in portacabins for years and leave in time to see a brand new extension opened! :wink: (absolutely no chip on my shoulder about that happening to me at school of course!!)
um

Post by um »

I don't think there is a possibility of the school expanding in time for this year's intake, but it may well wish to expand in future.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now