Advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Okanagan

Re: Advice please

Post by Okanagan »

Yes it should do but the effect will probably be dissipated as the second choices will be more varied.
KenR

Post by KenR »

No - there is no penalty - guaranteed - put the order you really want the schools

that "someone" is totally wrong - they allocate by score. (in fact the KE school heads only set the pass mark after they have reviewed implications in terms of numbers.

The only slight anomaly is that for the children exactly on the last score distance may come into play but nothing to do with the order on the preference form

so if they set a last score of say 219 then everyone who wants a place and scores 220 and above will get a place whatever order on the form.

Depending on the final number they let in with score of 219, the tie breaker will be how far they are from the school. But anyone who scored 219 and didn't get offered a place (because they live further wa\way) would be very high on the waiting list with a good chance of getting a place later.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Thank you so so much! It's been a hard few weeks waiting for the results, staying positive, visiting new schools, and getting my head round these forms. I'm a single mommy, and although my Mom and Dad are great, it's lovely to talk to people who are going through the same process and so knowledgable too. Thank you SO much. x
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Hi Natalie74

With a score of 220 I would definitely consider KE Aston for your DS. My DS has just started there and loves it.

Good luck with your choices :-)
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I also think they stand a good chance for KEA.

Last year, a friend's ds was offered a place at BV (not initially) on a score of 215.
Daffodil3969

Post by Daffodil3969 »

[quote][/quote]" so if they set a last score of say 219 then everyone who wants a place and scores 220 and above will get a place whatever order on the form. " said Ken R

I don't think this is true of Adams Newport though who have set the cut off somewhere around 309 but this incorporates a waiting list, so if you score above 309 you aren't guaranteed a place, just eligible to apply as I have understood it? I see it is different to the Walsall consortium in Birmingham then?
Get

Post by Get »

Hi All,
I have a dilemma as well. My DS got 225 but was wishing to go to KECH. Now we wonder whether to put KEFW first or Aston. We have only 3slots on SStaffs lea. That means it is a risk to loose one slot to KECH though that is the school my DS wants( older brother in KECH). Also can someone advice us about how is travelling from Wolverhampton to KE Aston and Bishop Vesey?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Daffodil3969 wrote:
KenR wrote:so if they set a last score of say 219 then everyone who wants a place and scores 220 and above will get a place whatever order on the form.
I don't think this is true of Adams Newport though who have set the cut off somewhere around 309 but this incorporates a waiting list, so if you score above 309 you aren't guaranteed a place, just eligible to apply as I have understood it? I see it is different to the Walsall consortium in Birmingham then?
Adams is an advisory at this stage rather than a qualifying score on allocations day, as KenR was referring to. There's nothing to stop you still applying for Adams with a lower score, they're just advising you that a place is unlikely. In fact with a score just below this it is probably still worth trying - as lots of people may be put off by the advisory letter and not apply, so if they've got their calculations slightly wrong you could still find you've got a chance, but with less competition than there might have been!
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Get, if you look on BV website, they have a great link on there about 'transport' you can put in your postcode and it will work out your best route for your son and how long it will take him.

I really wish the grammar schools would just set a minimum mark across the board and then take distances into account, seems daft that we live a 4 minute walk from Camp Hill and yet my son will have to make the 1 hour journey to either Five Ways or Bishop Vesey.
Get

Post by Get »

Thanks for replying Natalie! It is a shame for kids to travel. Fully agree with you. I tried to look for transport link from B V but could not find one. Could you guide me on which part of web site it is? Thanks again
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now