Sutton Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Thegodfather

Re: Sutton Girls?

Post by Thegodfather »

You have made the right choice! All 6 choices on my DS's formed are arranged in order of closest/least travelling time to most travelling time. 1) walking distance 2) Short bus (not green bus) etc.

If you choose one too far and your DD decides a long journey each way is not working then you have lost your place at Sutton.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

That's a very sensible approach. Reading around the forum (not just Birmingham and Warwickshire, but the other regions) I am always amazed at how much travelling time some people do consider appropriate, and how much little time for activities other than commute, school and homework must be left for some of their children.
Cookiemonster

Post by Cookiemonster »

KEHW has an open morning tomorrow. Sutton girls has no plans in the next week, next opens days for Sutton are soon after offers given in March.

:( would have been nice to visit both schools again before LEA preference form deadline.
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

Hi guys...

I think it is a no brainer is this case. Closer to home is the best for a child.

If however, we were talking about choosing between a mediocre comprehensive and an outstanding grammar (i.e. Sutton or any KE school) then obvioulsy most of us would be swayed and sacrifice the travel to get a better education and go for the grammar school.

In this instance, the issue is between two outstanding grammar schools, both provide an excellent education and have great facilities. Sutton is currently investing in a huge development which will add further to it's facilities. KE Handsworth has plans to further extend the Science block and already has great facilities.

Sutton has a very impressive transition programme for new starters where they buddy up the new girls with the older girls. We were very impressed by Sutton and KE Handsworth.

A child can do very well at both schools (in my opinion, they are equal in what they offfer). I would definately go for he one that is closer!
dmr

Post by dmr »

Thanks to all for your reassuring replies. It's really helped me to feel I'm making the right decision. I feel really fortunate that my DD will hopefully end up at an outstanding school like SG. Where's that preference form - I'm filling it in now!
stillanxious

Post by stillanxious »

This is exactly the decision I had to make this time last year as we live much closer to SG. Both myself and DD loved KEHW though. We did trial journeys to both schools which still didn't put DD off KEHW. In the end we opted for SG as she would get home an hour earlier every night. DD only started in September, loves it already and has made lots of local friends. I am so glad now that we chose SG.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

With the extra places this year I'd expect the Birmingham scores to drop by 3-4 points across the board. So 222 ought to be ok for either Handsworth or Sutton Girls seeing as it was well inside last year.
knotmum

Post by knotmum »

DMR perhaps our DD's will meet at SCGSG next year? Our form is submitted and we wait in hope. For us the journey time to school will be about 40 mins allowing for trains and walking to the station etc. That was really as far as we wanted her to go. It is great to hear so many positives about a school.
dmr

Post by dmr »

Hope so knotmum. Our DD scored 226 so we are quite confident, but I suppose things are never certain. We just wait and hope. A work colleague of mine is also putting SG as first choice even though she lives an equal distance between SG and Handsworth as her daughter liked Sutton better of the two. We are only a short bus journey away so we are very lucky in that respect.
Tutter

Post by Tutter »

I am new to posting on the forum but have been following it with interest for a while and would like to say thank you to those of you who post advice to us all. I still have a dilemma between SGHS and Handsworth, both seem very good schools and we live an equal distance between the two schools. My DD has scored 226 and so hopefully would stand a good chance of getting in to either school. With Sutton we would rely mainly on 1-2 buses combined with some car travel. Handsworth my DD would go by car am and we would rely on the Green bus pm which is obviously more expensive. My daughter marginally prefers Sutton but I must say I am undecided as the journey would be longer but my DD reassures me that they could cope with this. Could any one suggest which school may be better or give me any advice?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now