Lower cut off score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Re: Lower cut off score?

Post by Yamin151 »

Hibernation is a much underrated pastime. I think I will begin a trend and begin a propafol infusion from now until March. ********* guess i stay conscious and ANXIOUS!!!! Sigh :roll:

edited by moderator
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

goodmanj wrote:Errmmmm .... so I've read all of the above, but in a nutshell - will this now mean my DD with a score of 215 is likely to get a place?!!!
If you are considering Sutton Girls or King Edwards Handsworth then I would say she stands a very good chance of securing a place, particularly with Handsworth adding an extra class. Put them both schools on your preference form and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck!!! :D :D
goodmanj

Post by goodmanj »

:) sutton is our pref, but naturally Handsworth would be just fine! I dont think I have ever used a forum before, let alone become slightly obsessed with one!!! Im all for hibernation as an option too ..... can somebody please wake me in march!! My dd is mote worried about her upcoming birthday & whether we will allow her a mobile phone - maybe there is a parental forum fir thoights on that?!! Big thanks to all for your words of encouragement. :D
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

We can do that here too - just post it in the "EVERYTHING ELSE ..." section.
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

Okanagan wrote:We can do that here too - just post it in the "EVERYTHING ELSE ..." section.
LooooL ;-)
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

goodmanj wrote::) sutton is our pref, but naturally Handsworth would be just fine! I dont think I have ever used a forum before, let alone become slightly obsessed with one!!! Im all for hibernation as an option too ..... can somebody please wake me in march!! My dd is mote worried about her upcoming birthday & whether we will allow her a mobile phone - maybe there is a parental forum fir thoights on that?!! Big thanks to all for your words of encouragement. :D
I think I am in the slightly obsessed category too! we have a DS to prepare for next year so have all this to go through again next year!!!

Does it get easier the second time around??
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

If number one gets into GS, you have c**p local comps and you can't afford to go down the indie route then I think it might be worse :?
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

muminbrum wrote:If number one gets into GS, you have c**p local comps and you can't afford to go down the indie route then I think it might be worse :?
Number one (DD) stands a good chance. Local comps are errrrm ok.. Indies? I wish!

I am already preapring number 2 (DS) in terms of not getting in, is not the end of the world etc. He seems ok, our kids are not like those super competitive (get one over each other types) so hopefully should not have too much fall out if he doesn't get in. Number one DD is helping with his prep!

Local comps will be out only choice.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

KenR wrote:Actually that not correct - you can work it out based on the previous years average standardisation scores (shown under the scores in the sticky) - assuming only small changes in the number of candidates taking the exam

I did the calculation for KE-Ways as an example

For last year - the KE-Ways last candidate score was 227 with an average Std score of 114

114 is the 82nd percentile - so the top 18% candidates were successful out of 100%

This is equivalent to a probability of 1:5.55555

Increasing the year-7 entry from 150 to 180 will have an inverse effect on the success ratio in proportion to the increase.

This will have the effect of increasing the probability of success to 1:4.629629

Which is the equivalent of the 78.4 percentile

In terms of standardisation tables, 113 is the 80th percentile and 112 the 78th percentile. But closer to 112 in this case.

So assuming:-

(a) the cohort numbers remain unchanged from last year, and

(b) the distribution profile of choices by parents is similar to last year (both big assumptions)

We would predict the KE 5-Ways pass mark for the last successful candidate to drop from 227 to 224 if they increase the PAN from 150 to 180

Hope this helps

(The mathematical or statistically minded amount you can work this out for the other schools I hope)

For what it's worth, I did the calculation for KEHG as well and it looks as though the percentile drops from the 70th to the 62.5th - which by my calculations would mean the pass mark for the last successful candidate dropping from 216 to 210

For KECHB as well and it looks as though the percentile drops from the 91th to 88.4th - which by my calculations would mean the pass mark for the last successful candidate dropping from 240 to 235
So how would it apply to say BV who haven't increased PAN but would be impacted by other schools increasing theirs? Can the expected score for BV be predicted?
Last edited by Happy dad on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Yes. Although it's still going to be about the same 4 point drop - or maybe only 3 - because as you get to the lower scores the number of applicants on each score increases.