Year 7 Shell at KES

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moseleymum

Re: Year 7 Shell at KES

Post by moseleymum »

Thegodfather wrote:
Hi all, I'm back! Sorry Christmas took over. I've reread the comment and it is indeed it is harsh (I obviously don't want to put it up here). I do understand it as I know he is lazy but I was just a little shocked! He is a bright boy and he thinks satisfactory is satisfactory! When actually only excellent/very good is apparently acceptable. Just to reiterate he only got excellent, very good and satisfactory. No marks saying concern. There have been a lot of tears and his granddad has had a few words. Hopefully that will do the trick but its made me a little anxious. Looking forward to parents evening...
In that case I would definitely ask Mr C to explain himself at Parents Evening.

The staff at KES are actually very easy to talk to in my experience (unlike my experience at KE Grammar). There was one time I was a bit annoyed by one teacher who had IMO been very harsh when grading DS's homework and then gave him a (relatively) low mark in his report. I was ready to have a strong discussion with him at Parents Evening and when I went to see him he was extremely helpful, explained exactly what he was looking for in the homework and apologised if he was harsh. He explained his position very fairly.

I would definitely let Mr C know the impact his words have had. From Year 9 (UM) the boys go to Parents evening with you so it's easier to have a discussion of all things on the report. Despite what some think about a "report sent in the holidays" the main thinking is that the report is sent a few weeks before a Parents Evening so you can target your conversations with the teachers accordingly.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why don't students go from Year 7 - that's what many/most schools do now?

The more I hear about the school the stranger it seems ...
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Guest55 wrote:Why don't students go from Year 7 - that's what many/most schools do now?

Are you here to help or criticise? Seriously? Which school do you teach at? Is your school in the West Midlands? The schools I know i.e Birmingham school and Grammars don't expect kids to go until Year 9.
succeed

Post by succeed »

moseleymum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Why don't students go from Year 7 - that's what many/most schools do now?

Are you here to help or criticise? Seriously? Which school do you teach at? Is your school in the West Midlands? The schools I know i.e Birmingham school and Grammars don't expect kids to go until Year 9.
The School of Automaton Perfection by any chance? :D I maybe wrong, but I get the impression g55 is extra scathing because it is a 'private' school - a point of issue in several of the posts. Whilst this is true, the ever expanding bursary system at KES is probably the most generous in the country and this can be directly attributed to the efforts of JClaughton himself. This does not, of course, excuse overly harsh comments on reports, but to fair, I imagine he is under a lot of pressure to show results to sponsors etc. I would certainly echo moseleymum's advice about a quick chat with JC on parent's evening. I think he will be mortified that his words have had this effect and will seek to clarify,encourage and re-assure.
Also I wasn't going to mention this, but, nothing 'strange' about the results - GCSE 's were the best in the country outside of London (along with Manchester Grammar) so must be doing something right (even if 'strangely' :lol: )
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am here to comment - I teach in Bucks and most schools around here encourage students to attend Parents Evening from Year 7.

succeed - you are rash to 'assume' anything ...
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well for my part I'm really enjoying the spectacle of the Dr Pangloss of the 11+ forum finally discovering something that isn't for the best in this best of all possible educational worlds. But I agree, to my cynical mind it's probably something to do with not being a state school.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

As every one has made their point, perhaps time to invite mods to 'lock' this thread or even make it magically 'disappear'?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Well may I comment that even the leading Birmingham Grammars encourage children to attend from Year 9.

It's not considered strange here at all.

By placing the "Bucks norm" on this thread it's extremely confusing for Birmingham parents to gauge what should and shouldn't be done here in Birmingham. Parents on here will generally be comparing Indie with Grammar in this area, not Bucks, and as a parent with a child in both camps I can say the feedback from KES has been more meaningful and constructive than anything I have ever got from a Birmingham Grammar.

I'm sure Bucks do many things differently which I would consider strange, however I don't venture into that part of the forum as it doesn't concern me and any Birmingham experience I have doesn't really add to a Bucks parent experience.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think we should all go and visit other 'areas' - comparing experiences adds to this forum.

You may want to ask why students can't attend from Year 7; it's made a huge difference to our local schools. Pupil voice is a key part of the Ofsted framework.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Guest55 wrote:I think we should all go and visit other 'areas' - comparing experiences adds to this forum.

You may want to ask why students can't attend from Year 7; it's made a huge difference to our local schools. Pupil voice is a key part of the Ofsted framework.

Nah, don't have time to browse other area forums, doesn't apply to me and is irrelevant to my child's experience, JMO.

I don't want my child there from Year 7 tbh, I want to have a frank discussion without him. If parents feel so strongly they can take their child I suppose but they aren't expected to attend.