Kes Interview

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: Kes Interview

Post by um »

Or teacher - a few of the comments on my daughter's books are completely illegible :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:D
JaneM

Post by JaneM »

:lol: Of course you are both right! I should at this stage admit that my DS1 at CHB was given a laptop to use in class and exams from year 8 (now yr10) - spelling check disabled for the latter! He is a great speller and handwriting not too bad at all (if a little spidery) but he was always a perfectionist and so hated crossings out that his work was a different kind of mess. This slowed him down so much that he wasn't writing enough in timed work. He has mild aspergers so already on the SENCO radar and she was brilliant. On being given the laptop his work improved massively - greatly aided by the fact that, as you have already noted, that he was so familiar with a keyboard from the age of 3 that he was already more or less a touch typist. The other big advantage is that all his notes for the humanities/English go directly into the 'cloud' to be picked up on at home and when it comes to revision everything is there, legible, and easy to order/edit. Surely this is the way forward for all pupils eventually - given adequate resources for schools? After all how many of us would consider submitting a report at work that is hand written?

Evenso when SENCO at DS2's school (state primary) suggested 2 years ago that he might use a laptop I held out because I didn't think that was the time to give up on something that still needs to be learned and established. On speaking to SENCO at KES back in Nov about DS2's writing and spelling she said that if he had a statement he could be given extra time. But that wouldn't have helped, even if he had had a statement, as he can read and write fast - it is just that the writing is awful (and the spelling almost completely phonetic and inconsistent).
Although I wish he could spell, and of course I nag him about his handwriting and have done numerous exercises with him over the years, actually the yr3/4 constant pushing for perfection in this area led him to refuse to put pen to paper at all, for almost a year and not just in English.

For the last 18 mths he has had the most brilliant tutor who took a really positive and encouraging (but firm) line with him - obviously not easy in a class of 30 without even a TA. Just prior to the KES exam she told me he is the best creative writer she has. I think that even she, however, has had to admit defeat on his spelling and handwriting. In the end we agreed that the content actually had to be more important than the spelling and handwriting, otherwise they might just get one paragraph! This pattern could very easily repeat itself in secondary school, if the school do not take a constructive and supportive line with him from the first week, so the decision about where to send him - if we were in the ideal situation of holding offers from KES, Solihull and KEFW - goes round and round in my head.

Apologies for the long post - my long-suffering husband is fed up with hearing my worries I think. Any experience forumites have with similar problems much appreciated - also when it comes to choice of school (should we be in the fortunate position of having one!). Many thanks in advance.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

It's better to wait until you are definitely holding all your offers - ideally KEFW, KES and Solihull - before worrying about choice of school.

Once you know for sure, you have a certain amount of time before accepting any offer. The Indies offer their places before the Local Authority do and in that time there is usually an opportunity to revisit the school.

We found this time period the most invaluable in deciding which school to send DC to. For us, the fact the visits allowed us to see the school on a normal working day made all the difference (rather than a hectic open day when they're "at their best"). Also we had a one-to-one private meeting with the Heads of the schools involved so we could discuss specific concerns relating to our DC.
JaneM

Post by JaneM »

I know in my head that you are right moseleymum, this is the advice I would also give others - but telling yourself to stop worrying doesn't always work! It is really not great timing though that we will hear on the first Saturday of half-term from the Indies so will not be able to do anything at all for another week! KEFW have already refused my request for a tour until the offers come out at the end of the month (I asked early Dec) so it's the worst thing in the world - waiting :?
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

I can really understand how you feel, its very difficult waiting. Also I may be wrong but I would have thought Kes would be a better school to support your D's with all his needs, also I'm sure most of the grammar school and Kes are well aware along with most Ds high level of intelligence and talent there are also many special needs and issues that needs extra support to ensure they are able to meet their full potential.

Perhaps any current Kes or grammar school parent can share their experience with these school's and if it was able to provide the right type of support for their child.
JaneM

Post by JaneM »

Yes thank you clearsky, and any other parents of DCs with similar issues your experience much appreciated.
Doodlemum

Post by Doodlemum »

JaneM, just an aside really, but some of my friends awaiting KES results seem to think they will hear on Thursday?? Might be worth checking.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Any school that refuses a tour should be straight off your list - what have they got to hide?
JaneM

Post by JaneM »

Doodlemum, thanks, anything to shorten the anxious wait helps but I am sure the admissions lady said they would be posted on the 13th. Still, we live in hope!
Guest 55, re KEFW, can't say I was too impressed and not a little frustrated as we hadn't really considered KEFW, hoping for CHB where our other lad is - or Aston. As you know, the results came out much later than advertised and because KEFW have a two week half-term in October we couldn't look round before the CAF forms were due in. In fact I rang and rang and emailed, twice, and in the second week got a cleaner who told me the school was closed! After that we took a deep breath and put KEFW on form despite DS not being too keen. No-one returned my calls or emails from KEFW and when I called in Nov/Dec explaining how anxious DS was about the choice and the impending indie exams I was told they sympathised but if they let everyone look round who wanted to outside the open days they would have a constant stream of visitors (as, presumably, KES and Solihull do!). I would have to wait til the official results were out when they would run some more tours. They also told me, rather unhelpfully, that I was legally bound by what I had put on the CAF form so couldn't change my mind anyway. I think the pressure is really on the Grammars with regard to finances and understand their constraints but if they really want to widen access to disadvantaged groups (which we are not) they are going to have to open their doors a bit wider and work a bit harder - maybe they could ask the Foundation for more money to do this!
I wonder if I might have more luck with the KEFW SENCO so might try that route once the indie results are out.