KEHS Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crazycrofter

Re: KEHS Results

Post by crazycrofter »

Hi Moseleymum, why did you decide against KEHS for your dd? It has been no 1 choice for our dd since we first visited last January, but we haven't seen it on a normal working day. I'm just wondering if there's anything we've not thought about.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

It was just a feeling we got when we visited (both myself and DD). I know it's a great school and girls are very happy there but it just wasn't for us.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

moseleymum wrote:. I know it's a great school and girls are very happy there.
I would agree with the first part from a results point of view. My eldest was there until 2011 and was not happy as were some of the girls she new who voted with their feet leaving at sixteen only one had to leave due to her results.Of the six girls who came from her school only two stayed beyond sixteen.My views were tempered as a result hence my youngest dd did not sit the exam this year (plus I had to consider the financial implications ) .Two of the girls in her class did I believe both were offered places but I'm not sure if either will go. Four of the other girls sat the exams for Edgbaston High school for Girls and all were offered places more are likely to go there even though not as academically high powered.

You have to go with your instincts and the experiences of those you know and trust and the wishes of your child. You should put your child where they will enjoy their schooling and if they work hard they will do well in any of the schools. When considering league tables you need to remember the levels of ability of the children entering those schools.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

quasimodo wrote: You have to go with your instincts and the experiences of those you know and trust and the wishes of your child. You should put your child where they will enjoy their schooling and if they work hard they will do well in any of the schools. When considering league tables you need to remember the levels of ability of the children entering those schools.
Maybe some current parents of KEHS girls can post their experiences?

Some girls are happy there it's just that I couldn't see my DD being one of them, even though we were very familiar with the indie sector (more than the Grammars at that point), knew lots of KEHS families and had a DS next door. We also know a family who have two daughters, and sent one of their DD to CHG and one to KEHS. They were also helpful because they know my DDs personality and helped with the pros and cons of each school and whether the strengths of the schools matched her strengths.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

moseleymum wrote:Maybe some current parents of KEHS girls can post their experiences?
There are certainly going to be people it doesn't suit, you have to make your own judgement about that. You can find my opinions on previous threads, we're 4 years in and I still love the place and more importantly, so does our daughter. Our main reservation would be whether the current principal and her incoming management team preserve the character.

Judging by talk amongst daughter's friends, quite a few of them will consider moving at 6th form but the sole motivation is the prospect of a co-ed 6th form :roll: .
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

can anyone give any more specifics at all? For e.g. Are there any particular character types of dcs that it may not suit?
Teacosy

Post by Teacosy »

Many congratulations to those who have been offered a place at KEHS. If you and your daughters have visited the school and liked it, the chances are your daughters will be very happy. When we first took our daughter to an open morning several years ago, we had a gut feeling it was the right place for her and so far, it certainly has been.

Girls at KEHS work and play hard. Certainly as they reach exam years, there is a heavy workload (I am not sure how it compares to that in the grammars), but the majority of girls are rewarded with outstanding results to show for it.

I really don't think there is a certain "type" of girl that shouldn't go to KEHS. What I have appreciated about KEHS is the fact that girls are valued as individuals and there are umpteen extra-curricula activities to cater for most tastes and quirky interests. We have got to know many KEHS parents and girls over the years and I can honestly say that over 99% are delighted with what the school has done for them.

There are lovely caring staff-student relations. Although expectations are high, many staff are quite informal and share a joke with the girls. As Mike has said, there has been a complete change of senior management recently, so current parents and girls are waiting to see what effects that will have. As prospective parents, you are in a good position to ask!
atmyage

Post by atmyage »

Thank you for your valuable feedback and insight. I suppose the question that keeps cropping up in my head is "is the £12K a year worth the added value, and more importantly what is the added value that I am paying for" if the quality of teaching is comparative. But then, can the teaching really be comparative, if we are looking at 80 girls in the year at KEHS (20/class) compared to 150 girls in CHG (30/class)? As to the extracurricular activities, my DD has recently started to pursue quite a few interests out of school, with local sports and music clubs. Hence the big dilemma. I suppose deep in my heart if money was truly no objection I would send her to KEHS, but money and the process of getting that money (both parents working full-time, work-life balance etc) is a big factor in the equation that I am trying to solve and failing miserable.

I have decided to go back to both schools and rely on my gut instinct - something quiet hard for me as I usually need numbers and stats to make decisions.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

The majority of children at grammer schools get excellent gcse results and very good A levels. Many children at comprehensives do very well and go on to be doctors etc. So I think you are right to ask what the £12,000 a year is adding to the experience. I am very happy with the grammer school we chose and look forward to spending the money saved on all sorts of goodies for all the family. In addition, as you allude to, there is less pressure on the work-life balance. It's a win win situation and in my opinion if you have the option of chg a no brainer. Good luck making up your mind. To quote a famous man "money doesn't talk it swears".
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

After a few years of KEHS and CHB I would unhesitatingly say that if money was no object I would choose KEHS/KES every time. The 12k is worth it...if you have the 12k. However, it certainly is a LOT of money and any worries you might have about being able to afford it will probably not get any less over the next 7 years...and after that there's university to think about. So unless you have buckets of the stuff or a lot of help with the fees the GS is the sensible choice (and if we lived in catchment for Tudor Grange or Arden I wouldn't even bother with the GS).

In my experience visiting the schools again won't make it any easier...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now