exam strategy (+ bit of prediction fun)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petitpois

Re: exam strategy (+ bit of prediction fun)

Post by Petitpois »

For what it is worth we seemed to hit a ceiling on bond papers tests of around 85%-90%. We were trying to get 100% but only managed 90%+ on a few occasions / sections (not whole papers). Average was probably closer to 80%

11+ plus CEM is clearly about bombarding kids and hoping that a significant number will just freeze and then a further percentage will get knocked out by not being quick enough.

We were a little weak on the NVR, but the things that appears to have completely caught us out was speed. Every time we did Bond papers, she was always completing with 5 minutes to spare with enough to check.

Had I known I would have tried far far more 10 minute tests.

Tutor said she felt she was a little beyond borderline (which is where I put her). I never could work if my borderline assessment was fair

One possible route to salvation for my DD is that Bob 1982 says 28 questions missed can still end up with a decent standardised score. I supposed an added factor of that is that if you have as little as X seconds per question section in some sections, then that is not a huge amount of time to take in the question, formulate answer and then answer correctly. So whilst I have been beating my self up for DD missing so many questions, its clear than some kids will have been operating at speed, but in many cases just ticking boxes. I am really hoping the the cohort of the really really able and well read (and speedy) is relatively small and some how she can just squeeze over the line in to the cohort.

If I could get her into the lowest cut off point KE Grammar, even just scraping in - I would absolutely take that any day of the week.

Finally I found the scores for ********** helpful. Top Manchester Grammar kids were only getting an average of 88% of their tests, and many others around country were scoring in much more normal ranges ie 75% - 85%, so perhaps everything to hope for, for a few weeks yet.

BTW we going to take her out for a were proud of you regardless cake at her favourite Harborne cupcake joint. It was hilarious on the Saturday afternoon of the test, watching other parents interrogating their kids and taking multiple calls from other parents / over said cup cakes. One darling son, when asked one too many a question about the questions in the test, told his mom to shut up and stop asking questions, which was just about justified...
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Picking B should guarantee 25% marks are correct, for the ones that you don't have time to answer. We begged our DD to do this, following the same nonsense on QMGS. Did she do it...........NAH!

If you just randomly pick questions it is

1) A harder to decide
2) You risk getting them either all wrong or all right.

Either way DD will have missed out on additional "free" RAW marks by not doing this. She knows she should have, and she knows she can't change, so regardless she has learnt an important lesson.

I can't fault my tutor particularly apart from on this point. When asked after QMGS, if she had given a clear direction to My DD, would have done it, but she vacillated and said it depends how they mark the paper.

In the absence of authoritative direction DD followed what KE tape appeared to say which was work through questions as quick as possible and not worry about one you can't answer as you will not lose marks.

In that regard DD has put herself in a very select cohort!!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Our guesses were C !

She missed 2/3 questions as she said you couldn't guess them I.e not multi choice.

On NVR they had 5 mins left and she had 10 questions left. She quickly put C for each one and worked through until time was up leaving on 4 as a guess

Actually I should have her, of the 6 original guesses of C how many were actually C
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

The important thing in my view is the total number of questions missed.

Only 1 parent who I know is reliable has reported to me that there child did everything. Most have missed some.

I would love to have a chat with the CEM people and understand the approach they have taken and what its pros and con are.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Bob1892 wrote:Of course there's a degree of speculation and its dependent on variables but if you trust your dc to give you an honest appraisal of the test you can make a fairly decent stab at the score.
This year might be a different kettle of fish though :?
Regards
Bob Houdini :)

Been through this a few times now, not just CEM, and actually found mine didn't have a clue. The only thing of note is that DC who have above average intellect, hence quickly picked up their scores through practicing papers tend to do well.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Petitpois wrote:The important thing in my view is the total number of questions missed.

Only 1 parent who I know is reliable has reported to me that there child did everything. Most have missed some.

I would love to have a chat with the CEM people and understand the approach they have taken and what its pros and con are.
According to our son he completed everything apart from 1 NVR question that he had to guess - he had run out of time. However, he felt he had enough time on English and Maths and manage to check over Maths again.

In Walsall test he guessed 7 NVR questions due to time but completed everything else.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

my ds didn't miss out any QS for either brum or Walsall but then again he's a speed merchant. I think accuracy is more the order of the day than speed for the brum test this year because of the test being easier on time. :?
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Bob / MSD - I think its looking pretty positive for you guys. My DD completed all maths and checked them over. Since she liked maths, she practiced all the time, formally and informally. She said they were ridiculously easy.

In contrast on the Vocab side and NVR, She was never as strong. When they (She) doesn't know a word they start wasting timing try to figure it out, or ruling out ones they know it is definitely not, but that costs time and leaves you at the mercy of guesses. Worse still if you then compounded matters by not guessing when your about to run out of time, you must end up amplifying your losses

This is what cost us with leaving answers not completed. I would say 20% of me hopes that she has been more accurate, but based on all the past papers, I genuinely cannot see that at least a 10% error creeping in across all sections, of her work. Adding that to questions not answered means I am 80% certain its a car crash.

I will be gob smacked if she has achieved a qualifying score on this basis.

That's not to say that just because it been completed that is enough, but we all know our kids strengths and weaknesses at this stage. If she had completed all questions I believed she could have expected to get about about an 80% raw mark.

I almost don't want to see the result.

BTW will you get scores per paper or just an overall Standardised score???
MSD

Post by MSD »

It's an overall standarised score plus the cut-off for previous years. But if you also checked the Warwickshire box when you filled the admission form you will get a more detailed report from them with a breakdown as well as rank I think.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Not sure actually - I think Birmingham broke it down as well!