CGP Practice Exam - Help Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Petitpois

Re: CGP Practice Exam - Help Please

Post by Petitpois »

inspired wrote:Thanks for the advice PP
The maths challenge sounds good and will ask the teacher about it. Did your DD do it at the end of yr 5 PP ?
I think it is part of KES / KEHS out reach programme. It won't do much for skills, but it is a confidence builder / widen horizons type thing.
[quote="inspired"
DS is a reluctant reader and just read the horrid henry books throughout yr 3.
[/quote]

Just keep going to Waterrocks and mooching. Some of them have cake shops where you can have a cake and browse the books, but that will come at the cost of the waist line. :? Harry Potter was a big help. We read the series over the summer hols, before the tests. If he likes that Hunger Games might fire him up a bit too. Reading anything as long as it floats his boat, is a bonus. A slightly more risky thing to do is buy a decent paper and cut out anything traumatic or gross and do a paper review, summarising the top 5 interesting stories. We did this (except we forget the censorship step), so ended with some very awkward questions. Try and steer onto less analytical stories, as these tend to contain more complex language (The arts correspondents discussion of an allegorical travelogue (was it De-tocqueville democracy in America) is going to be lost on a 10 year old), but we had some interesting chats about the world and how it works, based on that.

You sound more planned than I was at this time last year. Don't forget about booking in a Mock exam (the Shirley mob, seem to have that all tied up), but its got to be worth the £50. One in June, one in August - AND THEIR IS no freebie from Walsall this year. Overall, sounds inspirational in the inspired world. BTW I think few have a completely trouble free route through the 11+. Some months are more productive than others.

Just take confidence in what your up against. Some parents think that schools should not worry about uniform (and shoes in particular) and should instead be grateful that the kids turn up for their "educations" in the first place. R kid!
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

FWIW - I am concerned about DD2's mastery of maths and I wonder whether the rote route might be right for her, something like Kumon.

The new curriculum is pushing them much harder to cover more ground earlier, but I feel the need to step in re the mastery aspect of things. I worry not enough time to bed key methods and techniques is being given and I do wonder whether what the impact of this will be in a couple of years.

pp
MSD

Post by MSD »

inspired wrote: I feel it's too late for DS who is in Yr 4 but will definitely consider it for DS2 in a couple of years time.
Of course it's not late! My son is in Year 9 in KEFW and still on it. We are hoping to complete the whole programme, which will take him another 2 to 3 years. He is already doing some A level stuff and my understanding is that at the fag end of the course they get into advanced university level Maths.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Petitpois wrote:FWIW - I am concerned about DD2's mastery of maths and I wonder whether the rote route might be right for her, something like Kumon.

The new curriculum is pushing them much harder to cover more ground earlier, but I feel the need to step in re the mastery aspect of things. I worry not enough time to bed key methods and techniques is being given and I do wonder whether what the impact of this will be in a couple of years.

pp
PP - Kuman does not cover the elements of 11+ Maths. 11+ Maths is primarily word problems, which Kumon don't do. However, it is great for building confidence and speed!! If you want some one to work on fraction with their eyes closed or do multiplications in a fraction of time then Kumon will help you with that.
inspired

Post by inspired »

I only wanted DS to do kumon to help with his speed and accuracy on addition/subtraction/division. He was very good at his timetables but was weak on the other operations in maths. However I decided to work on this myself with him and I feel he is a lot stronger. The main concern now is problem solving and he lacks confidence in this area. Kumon do not do this, hence why I think there's no point to starting now.
inspired

Post by inspired »

Petitpois - I would consider kumon if you want your DD to achieve mastery in the key areas. The repetition will build speed and accuracy. State primaries go over maths topics quickly and more practise is needed at home to achieve mastery. I think the problem is only going to get worse with the new tougher curriculum. Prep schools are better at giving more practise. When I visited my best friend at her house I saw a pile of books her son had brought home at the end of yr 2, compared to only 2 my son had done and even they were not complete! I looked through one of the several maths books he had and a lot of practise was given on the different topics. I think that's why I panicked and started to do more at home with my son in Yr 3.