King Edward Aston VS Bishop Vessy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Re: King Edward Aston VS Bishop Vessy

Post by quasimodo »

Ams wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:
Ams wrote: Sutton Coldfield area is good but it is too far and more over future perspective if we want to buy a house the prices are very high in Sutton.
If you wish to buy a house not too expensive near Sutton and with easy connection with BV, you could look near the border Erdington/Sutton Coldfield. If I remember well, there were even houses on the north side of Chester road which were still with no stamp duty ( so maybe still part of Erdington despite Chester road which is a large road having its roots in Roman times).. This info about stamp duty dates back to several years ago, so this might have changed. :? However, I am under the impression that it could be an idea worth to explore by visiting estate agents in this area.
The connection by bus to BV will then just to take a bus to go up Birmingham road. Or even the train as there is the ‘Chester road ‘ station nearby. I do not know which one would be the cheapest and fastest solution.

This is just one idea, there might be many others that other forumites could share!
Hi thanks for your reply. we r interested in BV I also have one daughter yr3. For her sake also Sutton Coldfield grammer school is there. That is the reason ok we decided to plan to buy house in Sutton Coldfield in future. But compare to Aston with in 5 miles house prices are high in BV ( with in 5miles). how about Erdington and kingstanding areas. Some of our friends telling the areas are not good.
In what areas are you and your partner likely to be comuting to and from work ?

Traffic is a major problem and is particularly acute at peak times and when there are incidents.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

If you have a DD in year 3, I think it would be wise to look for a 'good' primary school for her.
So maybe you could rent in Sutton first and then, once you have a place at a 'good' primary school and are 'on your feet' in Birmingham and begin to know the city, you will be able to decide where to buy a house in the range of price you can afford.
I do not know to exact borders of Kingstanding, but I was a user of Tesco at Kingstanding :wink: . If you find something near the end of Jockey Road, you DD will catch easily a bus for SCGSG if she gets a place there. For your DS, it will not be too difficult to join BV from there.

For the commute in Birmingham, also, may be you could look into living not too far from a train station to have access to easy commuting via train... Or you do park & ride.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

I think it depends on where you compare it to. I think erdington is better than kingstanding , in fact there are some very nice areas of erdington. You are in an easy commute to either school. With regards to schools both have a very different feel. Some people prefer the King Edward schools but I think it very much depends on your son. BV seemed to be very much about the other opportunities available. We chose it because of the sporting side of it. They also have some fabulous excursions.KEA to me felt more academic with not so much focus on the after school clubs. I don't think there is anything in there with regards to results. Not sure how much my gut feeling is true but please look around both before you make a decision as they are very different.
icklebear

Post by icklebear »

Have lived in Aston, Erdington, small villages around Sutton and now currently in Sutton. I have enjoyed living in all of these areas having moved here in the mid nineties from the home counties. Visiting is a must, Birmingham is a great city, diverse and vibrant. You just have to find somewhere that works for you and yours. Good luck to you in finding somewhere that fits :)

School wise I concur with Firttimemum, DS is a sports nut, for him BV was always the first choice out of those two for that reason. Both great schools though, and awesome to have the choice of both if you have it!
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

What about the other way and moving out toward Lichfield. Can be cheaper there, nice area and good train route through Sutton to Birmingham.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Firsttimemum wrote:Some people prefer the King Edward schools
People who think like that are often people who likes 'Brands'; in this instance, the 'KE brand', telling their friends 'Oh, my DC is at a KE school'... Errrr, imho, this is a snobbish attitude. :wink:

Also, historically, KE Aston used to have better results than BV so people were ready to travel the extra miles to get to Aston instead of BV. However, nowadays, the academic gap between Aston and BV has shrinked immensely. In fact, I am not sure the academic results are so different ; I let you compare results tables if you find them...

Looking into the future, it is true that BV and SCGSG have not yet join what seems to become soon the Multi Academy Trust.
http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/mat-faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But maybe they will?

I still do strongly believe you have to visit these two areas...You cannot make any choice without this (little?) trip! :wink: I hope for you that it will not be raining!
booellesmum wrote:What about the other way and moving out toward Lichfield. Can be cheaper there, nice area and good train route through Sutton to Birmingham.
good idea too!
Last edited by JaneEyre on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Firsttimemum wrote:We chose it because of the sporting side of it.
I am under the impression that the sport provision at KE Aston is also extremely good and years ago, there was even the possibility to do the GCSE in sport. Is it still the case? My knowledge about the school tends to date to several years ago! :lol: But I remember a beautiful sport hall! :D
However, the pupils have to take the bus to go onto their 'green 'sport grounds.

On the other hand, the grounds at BV are absolutely beautiful and all the rugby pitches , etc. , are in the vicinity of the school.

Personally, if I had to chose between Aston and BV, I would chose BV for my DS... but in my heart, I am a Suttonian! :wink: So maybe I cannot manage to be neutral!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

[quote="JaneEyre"]If you have a DD in year 3, I think it would be wise to look for a 'good' primary school for her.
So maybe you could rent in Sutton first and then, once you have a place at a 'good' primary school and are 'on your feet' in Birmingham and begin to know the city, you will be able to decide where to buy a house in the range of price you can afford.
I do not know to exact borders of Kingstanding, but I was a user of Tesco at Kingstanding :wink: . If you find something near the end of Jockey Road, you DD will catch easily a bus for SCGSG if she gets a place there.

I would look at the catchment areas of the Sutton Comps as well, just in case DD is not successful in SCGSG. We are on the Sutton / Erdington / Pype Hayes border and miss out on the Sutton Comps, so you may have Stockland Green / Kingsbury / Greenwood as the comp choices dependent on where you live.

I think the idea of going out towards Lichfield was a good idea by Boolesmum. The Chester Road line is great, but misses out Pype Hayes, Boldmere and Walmley, so look at where it actually stops near when considering houses.

In terms of schools, we were impressed with both when we visited, although DS preferred the feel of BV. Not having had a child at either I can't really help further with that one. All the best in your decision.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

helen0209 wrote: I would look at the catchment areas of the Sutton Comps as well, just in case DD is not successful in SCGSG.
Usually, the best sought-after comprehensive secondary school in Sutton is Arthur Terry School:
http://www.arthurterry.bham.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But as it is a good secondary school, prices of housing nearby is not low!

I am under the impression that it is not too too far from a train station for your DS to reach BV
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

JaneEyre wrote:
helen0209 wrote: I would look at the catchment areas of the Sutton Comps as well, just in case DD is not successful in SCGSG.
Usually, the best sought-after comprehensive secondary school in Sutton is Arthur Terry School:
http://www.arthurterry.bham.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But as it is a good secondary school, prices of housing nearby is not low!

I am under the impression that it is not too too far from a train station for your DS to reach BV
We bought our house pre kids in Arthur Terry catchment area (literally 5 mins walk away)......and they both go to SCGSG! Our closest station is Butlers Lane but may be quicker to get bus on Lichfield road as would go past BV rather than train into Sutton and walking back.
You do have to be careful at this side of Sutton that you are in Arthur Terry catchment as if you don't get in and aren't offered Plantsbrook etc as not in their catchment(or full) you can end up anywhere.
Last edited by booellesmum on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.