Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: KEHS / KES
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 pm 

I just wondered if anyone else's child is sitting the test next week. Both DD and myself absolutely love the school and feel she would fit in perfectly. It scares me that I am even considering paying the full fees but it really is the school for her.
Anyone got any advice about the exam. She is great at creative writing but her maths may be a problem.

Post subject: Re: KEHS / KES
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:48 pm 

My daughter has registered for it... But after realising how long it will take to drive her there everyday she will definently not be going... She still wants to do the exam for experience she said (I think it's for a day off school really) I wouldn't qualify for reduced fees either. I have heard it's a really good school though and the children have a brilliant time there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 pm 

Dd is year 9 at KEHS. From what I remember creative writing is a big part of the exam and I don't remember the maths being particularly hard. Kellyann, where do you live? Loads of girls get the train from Sutton Coldield in the north or Northfield on the south side and there's also a school bus from Walsall and one from Solihull. We lived in Walsall when dd started there and she loved the journey!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:01 am 

crazycrofter wrote:
Dd is year 9 at KEHS. From what I remember creative writing is a big part of the exam and I don't remember the maths being particularly hard. Kellyann, where do you live? Loads of girls get the train from Sutton Coldield in the north or Northfield on the south side and there's also a school bus from Walsall and one from Solihull. We lived in Walsall when dd started there and she loved the journey!

I do hope so. Although I was told that with most children their maths seems to be the strong point rather than their creative writing so this may help.
My DD would get the school bus and although I wouldn't normally consider such a distance the journey doesn't seem too long at all.
Crazycrofter, can I ask what other expenses there are? We will struggle to pay full fees ( it will mean me going back to work full time and giving up my studies) and are looking for an AP. I just wondered what other expenses I need to consider.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:54 am 

For the first year, they have to have school dinners. I can't remember now whether it's £3.25 or £4.25 a day. We've not had them since year 7 as it's all or nothing - no option to have them occasionally.

The compulsory residential in year 7 is subsidised - it was £90. All day trips are included within the fees. There are the usual options of extra trips - skiing, German markets etc but lots don't go. In year 8 there was a residential which they were encouraged to go on but about a quarter stayed behind - it was £340. This year the residential is about £200. But I guess it's much the same in grammar schools. You get emails suggesting subscriptions to various academic magazines but I've ignored them so far, knowing they wouldn't be read!

The uniform was slightly more expensive than grammar due to some extras like lab coats and fitted gum shields (never used I suspect!) but there's second hand uniform for sale at the induction day and subsequent parents evenings.

There's no subsidised instrumental lessons so you pay the private rate - my daughter's flute lessons are £19 I think. This is different to Handsworth Grammar where my son goes - I think we're paying £10 for him.

I can't really think of any other specific expenses. Friends tend to be well off so we spend more on birthday presents than perhaps we used to!

Bear in mind the AP is reassessed every year, based on your income to 5th April so if you get an AP and then go back to work your fees will increase for later years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:25 pm 

Thanks crazycrofter. That is a little reassuring apart from lunch as my DD is a very fussy eater and has never had school meals. Almost £3.50 when she will not eat is an expense we probably couldn't afford on top of fees.
I'm not going to worry too much at the moment as we have a long way to go. With 3 children it will be a tough decision but one step at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:46 pm 

Crazycrofter we live in Sutton... Ideally I would like her to go to Sutton girls... She sat the queens Mary exam too but she doesn't want to go there... We are in the Arthur Terry catchment and she really likes it there... I don't want her traveling as far as the King Edwards school... I would worry too much about her lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:12 pm 

Fair enough Kellyann! If you have good schools nearby I can see that there's little point in travelling. We liked Sutton girls too - that was my daughter's other offer. Good luck with the results.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:58 pm 

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 am 

Firsttimemum wrote:
Thanks crazycrofter. That is a little reassuring apart from lunch as my DD is a very fussy eater and has never had school meals. Almost £3.50 when she will not eat is an expense we probably couldn't afford on top of fees.
I'm not going to worry too much at the moment as we have a long way to go. With 3 children it will be a tough decision but one step at a time.

my DD started in yr 7 this year.
She is also a fussy eater but is really enjoying her lunches. She refused junior school lunches and doesn't really like packed lunches either but she says the choice is huge and is enjoying KEHS lunches.
She is loving school. We picked up a stack of uniform from the 2nd hand uniform sale which was amazingly good value.