War horse

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PoppyPup

Re: War horse

Post by PoppyPup »

JaneEyre wrote:
PoppyPup wrote: can we justify two theatre trips in the space of a few months of each other.
:lol: :lol:
I think it is so great that this show comes to Birmingham! I used to see some adverts for the play in London, thinking that it is really a pity of it being so far away. So now that it is on our door step, it is difficult to say 'no', unless it is too difficult to gather the money for such an outing. It is sad that a place at the theater is so expensive.

I guess that you are aware that there is a film, which is rather kind of a mix up of two of Michael Morpurgo's books, or maybe I should rather say that it is 'War Horse' with some elements of 'Private Peaceful'
https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Horse-DVD- ... =war+horse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Be careful, 'Private peaceful' (the book) has some elements that some parents are not at ease with. You can pm me if you wish or you read the book first before reading it with your DD).

JaneEyre,

We’ve got to chapter 13, I would be taking my 10 yr old Dd with me and I guess it may make us both cry ! It is a shame that it’s so expensive going to the theatre. I’ve left it on the back burner now till after Sat so will see.

Thank you for the info too, if the theatre doesn’t work out for us then we will def watch the movie. Need to finish the book first.

I’ve read many books with her ( her reading age a year ago was age 13-14 years) as I needed to make sure they were suitable with regards to the content. I must admit though, War Horse is by far my favourite and has ended our evenings on such a lovely note. Much needed after 11+ prep.

Will you be going ?
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

yoyo123 wrote:We took our year 6 children to see the play in London. It was brilliant and they loved it too.

Hi Yoyo123,

How did the children cope with the upsetting scenes ? Any tears from the kids ?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I found the barbed wire bit more upsetting than the 'sad' bits.
I haven't seen the whole movie but had caught the end for some reason. The play is not as tear jerking (or it wasn't for me) as the movie.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now