11+ Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSD

Re: 11+ Results

Post by MSD »

crazycrofter wrote:
mizoinuk wrote:Does anybody know if Sutton grammar is served by any green buses from Stirchley/Bournville/Selly Oak, or is it better to use the train?
There are no green buses to Sutton grammars but train is very convenient. My kids use the train from Northfield (to different schools) and we see a number of Sutton girls on there. They quickly find travel buddies and it becomes a fun part of the day. Personally I’d go with train over green bus due to cost and convenience - they can stay behind after school and if they’re late getting up in the morning it’s not too much of a problem!
Cost wise Green bus prices have been ridiculous recently. My boy who moved into Sixth had to pay something like £1100 a year, as opposed to £900 for younger children. That’s a lot of money but not sure why they would charge more for Sixth former.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

MSD wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:
mizoinuk wrote:Does anybody know if Sutton grammar is served by any green buses from Stirchley/Bournville/Selly Oak, or is it better to use the train?
There are no green buses to Sutton grammars but train is very convenient. My kids use the train from Northfield (to different schools) and we see a number of Sutton girls on there. They quickly find travel buddies and it becomes a fun part of the day. Personally I’d go with train over green bus due to cost and convenience - they can stay behind after school and if they’re late getting up in the morning it’s not too much of a problem!
Cost wise Green bus prices have been ridiculous recently. My boy who moved into Sixth had to pay something like £1100 a year, as opposed to £900 for younger children. That’s a lot of money but not sure why they would charge more for Sixth former.
I know, there seemed to be a big increase last year. I seem to recall we paid £775 for 2017/18 and it was going to be well over £800 this year. The bus/tram/train pass is £430 - it’s a big difference! Hence why I’d advise people to choose a school with public transport options if possible even if you do green bus initially.

My son is particularly enjoying the freedom of public transport - some days he runs for an early tram and is home by 4, sometimes he plays table tennis after school and visits Greggs on the way home!
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

So we had a stressful time last year.
Elder son had to do alternate day due to illness, then scored exactly the previous year's cut-off for the FW - which left us with a very anxious wait until March.
Younger daughter was always a bit more hit and miss on the 10 minute tests, so honestly had no idea what to expect with her this year.
Nearly fell on the floor when I opened yesterday and saw 247. I'm, not sure who was more (Pleasantly) surprised - us or our daughter. I feel bad now that we have underestimated her.
For example, we have never even bothered to go to a CHG open day with her, but it's certainly taken pressure off tomorrow's EHS exam.
Congratulations to everyone who has good news, and commiserations and sympathy to those that feel disappointed. Things weren't always plain sailing for us, so I know how stressful it can be.
11 is far too young for selection, and this is only the start of a very long life journey. In the end - it's dedication, hard work and parental support matter far more for someone's life chances than the disproportionate amount of emphasis we all put on school selection. The fact that the kids studied for, and then sat an exam that is optional... and that their parents took enough interest in their education to be reading message boards like this.... all suggests that the vast majority will achieve whatever ambitions they have in life, regardless of what happened on one particular day in September.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

kentish_man wrote:So we had a stressful time last year.
Elder son had to do alternate day due to illness, then scored exactly the previous year's cut-off for the FW - which left us with a very anxious wait until March.
Younger daughter was always a bit more hit and miss on the 10 minute tests, so honestly had no idea what to expect with her this year.
Nearly fell on the floor when I opened yesterday and saw 247. I'm, not sure who was more (Pleasantly) surprised - us or our daughter. I feel bad now that we have underestimated her.
For example, we have never even bothered to go to a CHG open day with her, but it's certainly taken pressure off tomorrow's EHS exam.
Congratulations to everyone who has good news, and commiserations and sympathy to those that feel disappointed. Things weren't always plain sailing for us, so I know how stressful it can be.
11 is far too young for selection, and this is only the start of a very long life journey. In the end - it's dedication, hard work and parental support matter far more for someone's life chances than the disproportionate amount of emphasis we all put on school selection. The fact that the kids studied for, and then sat an exam that is optional... and that their parents took enough interest in their education to be reading message boards like this.... all suggests that the vast majority will achieve whatever ambitions they have in life, regardless of what happened on one particular day in September.
Congratulations to your dd and to you both for her result and for such a thoughtful post.

http://kechg.org.uk/y7-entry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand there is an open day on the 24th of this month and open mornings on the 22nd and 23rd by appointment only.
Last edited by quasimodo on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

Well said kentish-man - our kids certainly have the capacity to surprise us!

I echo your words, and also congratulate and commiserate with all the parents on here. I'm in Warwickshire, and we find out on Monday, so it's another long weekend wait for us!
um

Post by um »

I know that some girls take a Yellow Bus to Sutton Coldfield and this stops in Solihull and Hall Green.

You may want to look into that.
mizoinuk

Post by mizoinuk »

Well said!!!! :)
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Fantastic news for your daughter, congratulations.l! Excellent post Kentish, definitely one day in September can't define ones life.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Seraphina wrote:Well said kentish-man - our kids certainly have the capacity to surprise us!

I echo your words, and also congratulate and commiserate with all the parents on here. I'm in Warwickshire, and we find out on Monday, so it's another long weekend wait for us!
I wish results came out simultaneously - the weekend wait feels forever, I know.
Then in March Solihull and Warks get offers before Brum generally, so it's swings and roundabouts. Good luck!

Congratulations Kentish. You are spot on!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now