Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Goodbyekitty

Re: KES Exam 2019 Entry

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Knitfaststaywarm wrote:
Reborn wrote:
Raych wrote:I find it strange that Reborn joined the forum on Friday just to let everyone know she had received a call for Kehs 2-3 weeks before they actually start contacting people
I didn’t join just to let everyone know I received a phone call from kehs. I joined to ask an question to see if others too have received a call. Maybe it won’t be strange if I don’t share information about myself and purely ask if others have received a call. I’ll keep that in mind for future posts.
Reborn - I know of a hugely talented girl who did massively well on the 11+ last year - sat KEHS and was offered around this time, so I know what you're saying is possible! Going from the child I know last year - your dd has impressed hugely and KEHS are anxious to nab her first! And we'll done to her!
I agree knitfaststaywarm, my friends daughter too did very well in both the Birmingham and Walsall Exams 2 years ago, and her parents too were contacted by KEHS very early and eventually offered an assisted place.
Reborn

Post by Reborn »

Thank you Knitfaststaywarm and Goodbyekitty.

Do you know if the girls received a scholarship also?

I am wondering if by getting a call just about assisted place means we won't get a scholarship.

How are the girls liking the KEHS?

We are concerned about the traveling time for our DD, one hour there and back.
Last edited by Reborn on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

My dd is in year 10 at KEHS if you have any questions.

She got an AP but no scholarship.

Which direction would she be coming from and how would she travel? What’s the journey like to the alternative grammar?
Knitfaststaywarm

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

Reborn I have PM'd you :D
Reborn

Post by Reborn »

crazycrofter wrote:My dd is in year 10 at KEHS if you have any questions.

Which direction would she be coming from and how would she travel? What’s the journey like to the alternative grammar?
We are in Solihull. The alternative grammar is Camphill.

I heard that KEHS children get onto the same bus as KE children?

How long does it take your DD to travel to KEHS?
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Reborn wrote:

We’re relatively near. Five min drive to the station, 12 mins on the train then a 10-15 min walk.

Lots of girls travel quite a long way though. There’s two school buses from Solihull although they’re run by WM Travel so you only have to pay for a standard bus pass (£300 pa) which you can use at weekends/on other buses.

For her first term in year 7 we lived in Walsall and dd got the equivalent bus from there. She loved it, but then she’s very sociable! She liked mixing with the boys too!

If you have a choice between CHG and KEHS you’ll want to weigh up the travel time because it will obviously lengthen her days. They finish at 4 Mon- Thur too.
Reborn

Post by Reborn »

crazycrofter wrote:
Reborn wrote:

We’re relatively near. Five min drive to the station, 12 mins on the train then a 10-15 min walk.

Lots of girls travel quite a long way though. There’s two school buses from Solihull although they’re run by WM Travel so you only have to pay for a standard bus pass (£300 pa) which you can use at weekends/on other buses.

For her first term in year 7 we lived in Walsall and dd got the equivalent bus from there. She loved it, but then she’s very sociable! She liked mixing with the boys too!

If you have a choice between CHG and KEHS you’ll want to weigh up the travel time because it will obviously lengthen her days. They finish at 4 Mon- Thur too.
So good to know your dd enjoys the bus rides and can mix with boys. We hope that our dd can use the time on the bus journeys to socialize too!
KatyLees

Post by KatyLees »

Has anyone heard of KEHS calling people for scholarship interviews yet?
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Part of me hopes DS isn't successful so there is no decision to make but obviously I'd love for him to feel that sense of pride receiving an offer.

Those who have boys who have already scored well enough to secure a place at one of the grammar schools, how on earth do you make the decision?

It probably doesn't help that I'm currently on maternity leave so have all day to ponder but I can't stop thinking about it and we haven't even heard from them yet.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

I appreciate I've already asked this too sorry :lol:

There just doesn't seem to be anything that would make it clear cut for us. Travel is an issue to all schools really, finance wise it would only be an assisted place so wouldn't impact us as a family and we loved it for different reasons to the grammars.