HGS vs QMGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ricky74

Re: HGS vs QMGS

Post by Ricky74 »

I've messaged the poster (thanks for the recommendations :D )

Without reading this, my first question was 'where do you live?'

The tours are a great idea. Sometimes you just don't know until they've looked round.

It is a dillemma - distance is a key factor and both schools offer something different (genuinely, HGS suits the one, QM the other).
It's also tricky as I wanted mine together, but both are happy.

Feel free to ask away. Both are lovely schools (ok, am biased) which makes it tricky!
stirpey

Post by stirpey »

Ricky74 wrote:I've messaged the poster (thanks for the recommendations :D )

The tours are a great idea. Sometimes you just don't know until they've looked round.

It is a dillemma - distance is a key factor and both schools offer something different (genuinely, HGS suits the one, QM the other).

Feel free to ask away. Both are lovely schools (ok, am biased) which makes it tricky!
Do you think there is any chance of HGS with score of 203? I think I know the answer but worth asking, clutching at straws I think many thanks
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

stirpey wrote:

Do you think there is any chance of HGS with score of 203? I think I know the answer but worth asking, clutching at straws I think many thanks
The real answer is no one knows.But if you don't put it down on your list of schools you will never know.There remains a possibility of a place maybe from the waiting list.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

We did it on 201 but that was for 2017 entry and a week after term started.

We realise we were very forunate and 2018 entry was different.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

stirpey wrote:

Make sure you put it as no 1 on your form to keep the option open. I suspect (as in Ricky’s case) that if a place becomes available after term starts they have more trouble filling it as kids have started to settle elsewhere. That’s when they start to look much lower down the waiting list.

Places do become available later too. A new boy started in ds’s class at the start of year 8 because a boy moved abroad.
stirpey

Post by stirpey »

Thanks for your advice. I realise it's a bit optimistic and we had said that if he didn't qualify for BV, which is where he had his heart set on and is close to our home, then we would be happy with the local comp where his brother goes. I think because he scored 203 it has changed how we see things. Had he scored much lower we would have just gone with plan B. That said, we haven't visited HGS and the travelling would not be easy so all a bit hypothetical.
rubberwheelz

Post by rubberwheelz »

Thanks for all your help/advice. Particularly regarding travel issues with green bus. I see it's not such a great option! I think as HGS is closer that might be the better option.
I'm aware previously HGS wasnt performing so well and had issues with behavioural problems. I know the current headteacher has turned around grades and ofsted performance but just a bit concerned that there still might be a 'bullying culture'. DS has a medical condition that he has been bullied for at primary school, so really want to avoid anywhere that's very 'ladish' (you know what I mean). Anyway, we're booked in to visit both schools over the next week so hopefully we'll get a feel for both schools and it'll help us to decide which will better suit our DS.
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

rubberwheelz wrote:Thanks for all your help/advice. Particularly regarding travel issues with green bus. I see it's not such a great option! I think as HGS is closer that might be the better option.
I'm aware previously HGS wasnt performing so well and had issues with behavioural problems. I know the current headteacher has turned around grades and ofsted performance but just a bit concerned that there still might be a 'bullying culture'. DS has a medical condition that he has been bullied for at primary school, so really want to avoid anywhere that's very 'ladish' (you know what I mean). Anyway, we're booked in to visit both schools over the next week so hopefully we'll get a feel for both schools and it'll help us to decide which will better suit our DS.
I think your concerns are quite normal, my DS is quite shy and a bit of a loner. He found the social side of primary school very difficult for quite a few years. He’s at HGS and seems to be absolutely loving it.
I work in education, I was very impressed by the headteacher and his approach to leading the school. It is quite a refreshing approach in comparison to the hard-sell that some schools seem to give to maintain importance, including some comps which insist that you have to list them as first choice to stand a chance of a place.
You are doing the right thing, go and have a look around, go with a list of questions, speak to the students and get a feel of every school. It really will help you feel at peace with your choices.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

It’s great you’ve got the opportunity to visit them both. I have 2 DS’s at HGS - one in Y9 and one just started Y7. Neither have been bullied or mentioned anyone else being bullied; there are some boys who are more vocal and ‘boisterous’ than others but that’s boys everywhere. I’m not saying that bullying doesn’t happen, I’m sure it does in all schools, but it’s important how the school deals with it when it does.

If you have any questions about HGS please feel free to ask on the forum or PM me and I’ll be happy to answer them.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Lategate wrote:there are some boys who are more vocal and ‘boisterous’ than others but that’s boys everywhere. I’m not saying that bullying doesn’t happen, I’m sure it does in all schools, but it’s important how the school deals with it when it does.
That was the case at FW too. I posted previously that there were a few disruptive boys in Year 7 when my DS started. The ones that seek attention by pulling things out of your bag and throwing your belongings around.

One boy in particular was out of control, the school gave him chance after chance. The parents in my sons form collectively complained ...... and how did the school deal with it?

They moved him to another form to terrorise them. :roll:

If that had been KES, he would have been out! I feel the discipline is on a different level at the Indies.

I wasn't very happy with the way the school dealt with it to be honest. I don't know whether he has settled down now and my son hasn't mentioned his name for a while.

My son seems happy enough at FW so I guess the children just get on with it. Boisterous and disruptive children are everywhere.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now