Primary (independent) outside our grammar area?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rooroo

Re: Primary (independent) outside our grammar area?

Post by Rooroo »

MSD wrote:Yes, they have all the figures on their website with a breakdown of score, for last 5 years
If you do gain permission I would be interested in the details. I have a few more kiddies potentially to put through in the coming years.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Rooroo wrote:
MSD wrote:
Rooroo wrote: That's interesting MSD. I wonder how though how much it is the actual prep school rather than lots of tuition and what parts of the primary curriculum they miss out on to focus on the 11 plus in school.
Hard to say but I personally think it's more down to tuition and being able to secure a good tutor, who knows the system well and has a good track record. I was absolutely amazed looking at this year's results for one of the Birmingham tutors. Out of the 40 odd children they tutored, 223 was the minimum score, more than half scored 250+, and quite a few scored 270+; 100% success and astonishing figures really! And, we still hear claims from head teachers that CEM is tutor-proof! On a lighter note, it looks like half of the CHB and CHG 2019 entry will be filled with children from that tuition centre :D

My honest advice to potential parents is that if you can afford the services of a good tutor, and you do not have the time or the knowledge to do it yourself, do look out for a good tutor and do not disadvantage your children in this very competitive 11+ world - you will be surprised to see the amount of children receiving professional help outside of the school. Just the Autumn mock of a very popular centre in Shirley had nearly 1000 children sitting it and that's only one of the many mock centres available around Birmingham.
MSD where did you see this information on the tutor? Would love to know what centre and what area this is?
So would I? Think I have asked for details of good tutors from MSD previously but never received a response?
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

MSD wrote:Absolutely Mitasol, agreed! I am sure they have rigorous testing in place before taking them on. But, in this instance, they appear to have around 25 students in the top 1 or 2% of all cohort taking the test, which I thought was quite commendable. And I wouldn't be surprised a few in top 10 too. Mitasol, I do also believe a vast majority of children out of the 6000 had some sort of professional help, but unfortunately we don't see all doing as well and I suspect most of these tutors only take the ones they think will pass. Again, I may be completely wrong in my assumption.

Rooroo, tutor is based in Birmingham, I believe, but I am not in a position to give out their details without their permission - sorry :(
I’m sure a tutor wouldn’t mind you getting them more business MSD?
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Inner Chimp wrote:
MSD wrote:Absolutely Mitasol, agreed! I am sure they have rigorous testing in place before taking them on. But, in this instance, they appear to have around 25 students in the top 1 or 2% of all cohort taking the test, which I thought was quite commendable. And I wouldn't be surprised a few in top 10 too. Mitasol, I do also believe a vast majority of children out of the 6000 had some sort of professional help, but unfortunately we don't see all doing as well and I suspect most of these tutors only take the ones they think will pass. Again, I may be completely wrong in my assumption.

Rooroo, tutor is based in Birmingham, I believe, but I am not in a position to give out their details without their permission - sorry :(
I have heard that many of these tutors cherry pick. I know which tutor you are referring to MSD.

I really think DP who still have children to sit the exam (especially those who have gained 250+ and 350+) need not worry and should have confidence in their own ability. If you tutored yourselves and gained scores like above or even signed up to other tutors / online classes (and not the one that has advertised these scores on their website)
you really have nothing to worry about.

For those that missed the mark.. I am sure there are hundreds of parents (like myself) who have home tutored and have managed to get their children into grammar schools. It can be done. For those that cannot afford external tuition - you should not feel you or your children are disadvantaged in any way.
It can be done and it has been done!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not casting aspersions on your tuition centre MSD but generally I would urge that unless the claims of any tuition centre/tutor are independently verified, I would advise caution on accepting them at face value. It is in their interest, after all, to overegg the pudding, so to speak.
MSD

Post by MSD »

bluejay wrote: I have heard that many of these tutors cherry pick. I know which tutor you are referring to MSD.

I really think DP who still have children to sit the exam (especially those who have gained 250+ and 350+) need not worry and should have confidence in their own ability. If you tutored yourselves and gained scores like above or even signed up to other tutors / online classes (and not the one that has advertised these scores on their website)

For those that missed the mark.. I am sure there are hundreds of parents (like myself) who have home tutored and have managed to get their children into grammar schools. It can be done. For those that cannot afford external tuition - you should not feel you or your children are disadvantaged in any way.
Very well said BlueJay! 250+ you will find are more often than not destined to pass even with little guidance. It's the borderline cases, the good tutors make a real difference with. The ones who would have missed by 15 odd SD points might just pull through with solid training. And, I also believe, they don't have a magic wand for the ones who just aren't suited and can't increase their score enough in 12 months.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

As the conversation has turned to tutors, I will just remind everyone of our usual caveat

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Inner Chimp wrote:

If you would like to pm me Inner chimp I will pass on the details of a tutor who has tutored both my daughters and many of the children of my extended family and many of my friends children.These are children of varying abilities.I have known him for over 20 years he is strict but fair but not every ones cup of tea.Classes are in groups of 6.He does test the children before he takes them on rather than waste their parents money with him.He prefers to take them on in the September of year 4.He is based in Walsall. He is highly in demand and you wont get him unless you get in early and is well past his retirement date so I don't know how long he will continue.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

bluejay wrote:
Inner Chimp wrote:

I have heard that many of these tutors cherry pick. I know which tutor you are referring to MSD.

We mostly home tutored and it worked well for us We used the mocks, as a way of knowing if he was on track/build confidence etc. I'm sure either way, parents have to keep a close eye on the process and become very hands-on.

Either way, I don't think you need to fork-out 1000s, as one tuition centre had us to believe was the norm :shock: , when making enquires last November.
MSD

Post by MSD »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Not casting aspersions on your tuition centre MSD but generally I would urge that unless the claims of any tuition centre/tutor are independently verified, I would advise caution on accepting them at face value. It is in their interest, after all, to overegg the pudding, so to speak.
Of course, KCG! Talking about pudding, "proof is in the pudding" comes to mind. The tutor I refer to, and I don't have any personal interest in their business whatsoever, clearly lays out all the scores on their website. And, I also know that all parents using their services have access to that website and can verify those scores. I certainly did, when my DS2 attended. So, I don't have any doubts about their credentials, but I would also advise all posters to tread with caution when finding tutors.