Do you have to take your first choice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Skylark

Re: Do you have to take your first choice?

Post by Skylark »

Jazz-UK wrote:Hi,

Just about to complete the selection form and I wanted to know if we apply for a school and do get it in, do we have to accept it. I know it sounds like we're messing around, but (1) first choice would be a borderline score to get into that school, and (2) it's a lot further away. I know there's a lot of debate about going to local grammars compared to ones further away with higher marks, but just wondering if DC did get into first selection, but then changes his mind can we decline it and go to second choice?

Thanks in advance,

Jazz
I have edited out my initial reply, as I don't think I answered your query. I believe you have received good replies and I hope you have complete the CAF by now.

Now the long wait until March begins. :)
All the best.
Last edited by Skylark on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

We were allocated our first choice school for our DS then changed our minds. We had to fill out a new application form (on paper!) and had to go into the waiting list of the evil we had initially put second. We got a place there eventually but it's a stressful way to do it.
Gracemum

Post by Gracemum »

HI Jazz-UK,

Just to contrast with what streathammum has experienced, ours was a bit different. My DS was offered initially his 2nd choice (BV) in 2014. We phoned the office and was told we were 4th on the waiting list for our 1st choice (CHB). I was nervous that we might lose the place if we did not confirm the initial offer, so we did. Submitted all paper works. But a week later, we were told, we got a place at CHB. So we called BV and told them the situation. Confirmed the place with CHB. Everything was in place for us just by making those couple of phone calls.

In short, it is much easier to decline your 2nd choice than your 1st choice.

Good luck to you!!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Gracemum wrote:HI Jazz-UK,

Just to contrast with what streathammum has experienced, ours was a bit different. My DS was offered initially his 2nd choice (BV) in 2014. We phoned the office and was told we were 4th on the waiting list for our 1st choice (CHB). I was nervous that we might lose the place if we did not confirm the initial offer, so we did. Submitted all paper works. But a week later, we were told, we got a place at CHB. So we called BV and told them the situation. Confirmed the place with CHB. Everything was in place for us just by making those couple of phone calls.

In short, it is much easier to decline your 2nd choice than your 1st choice.

Good luck to you!!
To be fair, what you had Gracemum was simply a place on the waiting list for your first choice - this, as you found, is quite a simple process, designed so, as it is assuming that you really, really, really want the school you listed first, and therefore makes it as easy as possible for you to accept your second choice (so that you have a definite place somewhere) whilst you wait and see if a place appears at your first. In the OPs case, the council will have allocated the school they said they really, really, really want, for them to then change their mind! Streathammum's experience is going to be what the OP will encounter, should they not make their mind up now...with the caveat that there might not be a place (as their was eventually for streathammum) - hence the stress!
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

streathammum wrote:We were allocated our first choice school for our DS then changed our minds. We had to fill out a new application form (on paper!) and had to go into the waiting list of the evil we had initially put second. We got a place there eventually but it's a stressful way to do it.
Not evil! School! :oops:
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

Jazz-UK wrote:Hi,

Just about to complete the selection form and I wanted to know if we apply for a school and do get it in, do we have to accept it. I know it sounds like we're messing around, but (1) first choice would be a borderline score to get into that school, and (2) it's a lot further away. I know there's a lot of debate about going to local grammars compared to ones further away with higher marks, but just wondering if DC did get into first selection, but then changes his mind can we decline it and go to second choice?

Thanks in advance,

Jazz
Imagine the allocation is on 1st of June. What would be your preference? List it accordingly. Your problem is you haven't decided first choice to be honest. You should had a clear 'choice' by now! Whether your child will get a place or not (since you mentioned border line score) is irrelevant in this context. They will allocate the places according to the AQS this year in order of your preference. If you get your 3rd choice, still you will be in the waiting list for 1st and second place and will be offered a place if it becomes available. But you can't sort of reserve places in multiple places and decide in March. Someone else may capture that place.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Is your proposed first choice with a borderline score and much further away QE?

If so what is your borderline score?

I don't expect the last score to get a place in March to be lower than the 230s

Last year it took until September to get to 229 and that was with 12 extra spaces which they have not yet decided to allocate for this year.

Would you have to move for your proposed first choice? DG
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks everyone, as always your comments and advice is greatly appreciated.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Jazz-UK wrote:Thanks everyone, as always your comments and advice is greatly appreciated.
What did you finally decide Jazz-UK? Did your second choice, become your first?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now