Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ricky74

Re: Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 220

Post by Ricky74 »

Walsallmum, where does your other son currently go?

You will not be in catchment for most of the KE Foundation schools as you are not in Birmingham local authority.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Walsallmum are you pupil premium? There are 2 admission categories (3 and 5) that you may want to read.

Realistically, will admissions even reach criteria 5 or will places be filled by those in higher ranking criteria categories?

I've cut and pasted these from the other pinned thread:

3. If fewer than 45 places (25% of the PAN) are filled by applicants in
category 2, offers will be made to children attracting the Pupil
Premium who achieve the qualifying score and live outside the
catchment area, until a total of 45 children attracting the Pupil
Premium have been offered. If 45 or more places are filled by
applicants in category 2, there will be no offers made from this
category. Applicants in this category will be ranked by test score and
then by distance from the school.
if there are fewer than 45 children with PP and score 205+ then they will look to children OOC, these will beranked by score so theoretically could be quite distant

5. Applicants in this category
will be ranked by test score. Where scores are equal, priority will be
given to those with a sibling at the school; then ranked by distance
from the school.
In this category, catchment is not mentioned. The score here is the qualifying score ie 205 and the places are offered in score order.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Ricky74 wrote: Realistically, will admissions even reach criteria 5 or will places be filled by those in higher ranking criteria categories?
It will really depend on the number of OOC candidates sitting the test and what proportion out of those manage a place in top 25% taking the test. And, of course, if enough IC (non-PP) candidates within each catchment achieve in that top 25%. Complicated! :D
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

The problem for category 5 pupils may be travel arrangements.

If our DS2 did manage to get a place at FW, I don't know how he would get there.

Realistically, we have to forget FW completely and look at Warwickshire and hope they don't change their criteria (although I have heard they will be looking at it)

We are currently 4 miles inside the priority circle and although our address is Solihull with a Bham postcode, we are actually Warwickshire (LEA is Warwickshire)

My DS2 is quite upset that he won't have the chance to go to FW. Especially as we took him there on the open evening and he really liked it.

My other concern is sixth form admissions, will these change too and will it apply to existing students?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Try not to panic at this stage. Remember, this is STILL in the consultation stage - it has not yet "passed", so children may still have the opportunity to go under current rules, or they may still get in OOC and travel arrangements tend to flux with the changing cohorts anyway.

Most 6th form entry is a different transition point so the entry requirements can stand alone from entry at Y7. It is unlikely to be as "robust" as Y7 as Y12 entrants have a very real choice - they can go to other schools or college so schools have to make it attractive to as wide a pool as possible.
apillow

Post by apillow »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Try not to panic at this stage. Remember, this is STILL in the consultation stage - it has not yet "passed", so children may still have the opportunity to go under current rules, or they may still get in OOC and travel arrangements tend to flux with the changing cohorts anyway.

Most 6th form entry is a different transition point so the entry requirements can stand alone from entry at Y7. It is unlikely to be as "robust" as Y7 as Y12 entrants have a very real choice - they can go to other schools or college so schools have to make it attractive to as wide a pool as possible.
What is the criteria for passing the consultation? Does the public pay a role in implementing the proposal or is the decision solely on council and its team? Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The public don't play a role in implementing any Council proposal - the council implement proposals - but the public do play a role in having an opinion on any consultation and recording that opinion via https://www.birmingham.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether you are in favour or not, it is worth "consulting" with the LA by visiting the website above. From memory the consultation is January/February (I can't remember the deadline date offhand).
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The public don't play a role in implementing any Council proposal - the council implement proposals - but the public do play a role in having an opinion on any consultation and recording that opinion via https://www.birmingham.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether you are in favour or not, it is worth "consulting" with the LA by visiting the website above. From memory the consultation is January/February (I can't remember the deadline date offhand).

The consultation closes 7th of January 2019.

https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/pe ... ents-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apillow

Post by apillow »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The public don't play a role in implementing any Council proposal - the council implement proposals - but the public do play a role in having an opinion on any consultation and recording that opinion via https://www.birmingham.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you, I was not sure what role the public plays in the consultation . I see a huge campaign 'against' the proposal. I have been added to a whatsapp group "Save CHG and CHB" by a group of parents who's kids already attend a grammar. So I was wondering if the public says 'no' would the council not implement the proposal. Thanks for the reply
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Having gone through a similar consultation experience myself some years ago, I’d say that the LA will look at the responses and may implement some of any suggestions.

However in the ones locally it’s defintely a ‘tick box’ exercise they do be use they have to and often very little gets changed from the original. In one case the case was taken to the OSA who ruled on it, and tweaked the admissions a bit. It was a complicated case and the school themselves weren’t happy with the LA proposed changes and since they had become an academy straight after, told the SA that they would be consulting again to make changes to it. They were happier with the proposals once the SA had tweaked it, so it’s stayed put since.