Save our Grammar Schools from the proposed changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tonythetiger

Re: Save our Grammar Schools from the proposed changes

Post by Tonythetiger »

Reading some of the comments on the petition has convinced me that these proposals are exactly the right thing to do. Some of the elitism displayed is astounding.

Remember the reason those do well in selective schools is that they are united by wanting to learn and do well and they come from aspirational and supportive families. This is far more important than their actual score in the 11 plus exam. The biggest influences on secondary school performance have consistently been found to be parents and peer group. I personally can't see that changing for the worse with the new proposals. People focussing solely on the exam score are completely missing the point.

Some are saying that the standards will drop to the level of the local comprehensive if these proposals come in which is clearly ridiculous! Sounds like a lot of people have been whipped up here and it definitely feels like it’s mostly Camp Hill parents talking.

I do have some sympathy for those on the border or those with children already at the school who may have issues with travel. As someone else has previously said though, you do have to take this into account when choosing your child’s school and we were very careful to make sure that viable public transport options were available as well as the Green Bus. Although ironically we wouldn’t have had to worry if the local grammar was an option (as in the new proposal) as it’s a 10 minute bus ride away.

I definitely support the new proposals.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I completely understand the difficult position some people are in. In your niece’s case, it’s not too late to change her preference form - I think that’s possible until December? As far as your own daughter is concerned, there will be others in the same boat - there’s been lots of examples over the years of parents clubbing together to pay for a minibus, eg Wolves parents who’re not guaranteed places on the Newport buses. I’m sure you’ll be able to sort something if need be. It might even be cheaper than the green bus!

However, reading through the comments on that petition, they’re not exactly helping your cause. The idea that accepting children on lower scores will turn them into comprehensives is ridiculous - they must think that KEA, KEHG, HGS and the Sutton schools are glorified comprehensives - in which case their results are pretty impressive!

Lots of people seem to think the teachers and pupils will be stressed at such a wide ability range! Don’t they realise that a lot of the kids at KES/KEHS are there because they scored less than 220 in the grammar test?! If the independent schools can get such good results with a ‘comprehensive’ intake why do they have such little faith in CHB/CHG?!

There are some valid points to be made in relation to these ideas - how they affect people just outside the border for example. But I think alarmist and nonsensical responses like some of the comments on the petition will harm your cause.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

It's important that those of us who support the proposals do so formally as part of the consultation, which can be found here.
Last edited by anotherdad on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Emmal wrote:
Wildfuture wrote:So Birmingham Council object to the proposals then? That's what this implies
I thought the petition is addressed to her, rather than started by her....
Ah that makes more sense!
AK loving Dad

Post by AK loving Dad »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I think the title of the thread now is a fairer reflection, thank you. The petition is fairly poor still though and, as another poster has said, will be unlikely to hold much sway - the consultation is the key place to record comments - positive or negative.

Looking as an outsider, with no vested interest as I have no other children coming through - just a curious observer, whilst there are losers with all proposed changes, there is a lot of good intention in these proposals too and, for a vast swathe of Birmingham, there are potential GS children who will now have the opportunity to go to a school local to them, where they would not usually have had the chance. We all know from Bucks and Glos how daft it is to drive past one school on the way to another, when they are both GS.
I, for one, agree with KCG - my DC are all through this now but on balance I support the proposals. The Petition will no doubt garner many supporters with that headline but overall the proposals are sound. DS2 would have made it to CHB (1 mile from our house and joined DS1) so slight shame for me. But hey ho that's life!
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Have already voiced my concerns and opposition through the appropriate channels. Not keen on this petition sorry.
KenR

Re: Save our Grammar Schools - sign the petition

Post by KenR »

Guest55 wrote:Yes - that's what I meant anotherdad - much better for the schools and the students who won't have long journeys.
Not necessarily - these are not local catchments, these are based purely on Birmingham council ward boundaries - some are many miles away. For KEFW for example, Frankley (in Worcestershire) which is circa 1/2 mile from the school is outside the catchment, whereas Quinton and Harborne which are up to 6 miles away are within the catchment.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Also those out of area without access to a grammar school or outstanding schools I strongly urge you to contact your local MP too.
MSD

Post by MSD »

KenR wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Yes - that's what I meant anotherdad - much better for the schools and the students who won't have long journeys.
Not necessarily - these are not local catchments, these are based purely on Birmingham council ward boundaries - some are many miles away. For KEFW for example, Frankley (in Worcestershire) which is circa 1/2 mile from the school is outside the catchment, whereas Quinton and Harborne which are up to 6 miles away are within the catchment.
That is interesting, KenR. That then defeats one of the purposes that was outlined as the primary reason for proposals. i.e. reduce journey times
RedPanda

Re: Save our Grammar Schools - sign the petition

Post by RedPanda »

KenR wrote:
Not from this area but we fall into that. Out of catchment but only 30 mins away by bus (door to door). In fact, it is our 2nd closest school. Parts of the catchment (in the opposite direction) take over an hour by public transport. Go figure.

Generally agree with the sentiment though. Schools should have catchments but as always, the devil is in the detail.