Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Home_alone

Re: 2020 results

Post by Home_alone »

KenR wrote:
Home_alone wrote:
nervousmom wrote:how can scores possibly be standardised correctly this year between Birmingham and Warwickshire, when we havent even sat the exam yet!!!

I assume B’ham and Warwickshire standardise within their own cohort.
I'm not sure that will be the case, otherwise with 2 cohort and 2 standardisations they would need to provide 2 separate Age standardisation scores for those children who took the B/Ham exam but live within the Warks Southern Priority circle and are applying to one of the Warks Grammars.

If you have 2 separate standardisations then that would result in 2 separate tables to convert the raw scores into Age standardisations, which in theory could result in different Age Standardisation scores for each individual raw score on each paper.

If any parents living in Solihull or Wythall are in this situation then it's worth asking the question to Warks or B/Ham Consortium admin

But then there isn’t really another solution as the Birmingham scores have already been standardised and published, so they can’t now be altered in light of additional scores. I have to say that I didn’t realise the two areas standardised across populations. Is it then also possible that a child could sit the same test twice this year? In which case they would need to standardise separately as some children could be counted twice. Were they held on the same day in previous years?
Home_alone

Post by Home_alone »

nervousmom wrote:
ToadMum wrote:But unless one is still clinging on to complete ignorance about how school places are allocated, surely many more Warwickshire residents will name one or more grammar schools at the top of their CAF than would have done if the results were actually known before 31st October. The schools rank applicants and the LAs make each of their residents a single offer, according to the published admissions criteria and the provisions of the Admissions Code. So the ways of not getting a place at a particular school are still 1) not applying for it at all 2) applying for it, but ranking it below at least one other school which can offer your DC a place and 3) not doing well enough in the selection test.

None of these things will be ranked until after the closing date. You won't get squeezed out of your Warwickshire grammar school by a Birmingham applicant, just because they had their score today and you had to apy before you knew yours. And yes, at a certain level, it will mean that all grammar preferences turn out to be wasted, but in the combined Birmingham /Warwickshire area, are there, for any applicant, so many realistic grammar school options that someone who turns out to have scored, say, 200 would find themselves without any preferred school because the parent only had room to name one non-selective school and that turned out to be a dud, as well?
I know it won't actually make a difference.

I'm just so annoyed that ours got delayed, plus the constant worry if whether it will actually go ahead, I just need to rant and let off steam every now again :lol:

I can’t imagine how difficult it is trying to keep them going until November, we were relieved the Birmingham exam went ahead as planned. I hope you are coping, the end is in sight!
KenR

Post by KenR »

But then there isn’t really another solution as the Birmingham scores have already been standardised and published, so they can’t now be altered in light of additional scores. I have to say that I didn’t realise the two areas standardised across populations. Is it then also possible that a child could sit the same test twice this year? In which case they would need to standardise separately as some children could be counted twice. Were they held on the same day in previous years?
The other solution would be to simply use the B/Ham Age Standardisation Tables, viz a single Cohort, even though it's it's not for the full cohort. Thinking about it I suspect this is what they will do. The errors and deviation will probably be minimal if they do that.
mh1

Post by mh1 »

Regarding the scores can someone please enlighten me on which instituition is responsible for marking the test paper and converting the raw scores to standardised scores? King Edwards Foundation or CEM Centre.

I wonder if there is room for error in the raw score marking process; in the conversion of raw score to standardised score and in the email/postal delivery of standardised scores to parents of applicants. And what steps may be in place to remedy any inaccuracy along the the above journey?

Apologies in advance if this appears a controversial question. Just curious.
Last edited by mh1 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Home_alone wrote:
nervousmom wrote:
ToadMum wrote:But unless one is still clinging on to complete ignorance about how school places are allocated, surely many more Warwickshire residents will name one or more grammar schools at the top of their CAF than would have done if the results were actually known before 31st October. The schools rank applicants and the LAs make each of their residents a single offer, according to the published admissions criteria and the provisions of the Admissions Code. So the ways of not getting a place at a particular school are still 1) not applying for it at all 2) applying for it, but ranking it below at least one other school which can offer your DC a place and 3) not doing well enough in the selection test.

None of these things will be ranked until after the closing date. You won't get squeezed out of your Warwickshire grammar school by a Birmingham applicant, just because they had their score today and you had to apy before you knew yours. And yes, at a certain level, it will mean that all grammar preferences turn out to be wasted, but in the combined Birmingham /Warwickshire area, are there, for any applicant, so many realistic grammar school options that someone who turns out to have scored, say, 200 would find themselves without any preferred school because the parent only had room to name one non-selective school and that turned out to be a dud, as well?
I know it won't actually make a difference.

I'm just so annoyed that ours got delayed, plus the constant worry if whether it will actually go ahead, I just need to rant and let off steam every now again :lol:

I can’t imagine how difficult it is trying to keep them going until November, we were relieved the Birmingham exam went ahead as planned. I hope you are coping, the end is in sight!
We are keeping at it, but will be glad when its all finally over.
Dan4G

Post by Dan4G »

Hello everyone

I wonder what scores children have achieved, high, low or average?

DS has scored 216 and we are in CH catchment area. I am so worried that this is below the priority score and what could be our options in this situation?

Many thanks
SheepSheep

Post by SheepSheep »

My daughter scored 212 for Sutton girls. Last year’s minimum score for entry was 217, so unlikely to get an offer. Keeping our fingers crossed for a better result from the Walsall test.. good luck everyone!
DMC1

Post by DMC1 »

my daughter got 220 in KEFW catchment but has a sister at Sutton so will probably apply there and hopefully get in

They accepted at 217 on offers day last year and Handsworth at 213 so plenty of chance if similar this year in the 210s
mh1

Post by mh1 »

DS met the Priority Score (224). Having digested the information from last years threads and new catchment rules I'm still worried as distance is the qualifying criteria for any scores above 224 (for Cat 4). So essentially all children above 224 will be ranked NOT based on score but on distance to school. This in turn means a cat 4 child achieving a higher score but living further from school may lose out on a place to a cat 4 child living closer to school if lack of spaces left for all cat 4 children achieving priority score. Seems harsh but appears to be the new reality. Can someone please correct me if I've misunderstood the new rules with respect to cat 4 places.

It's a waiting game till March 2021.

Wishing all parents and DC the very best.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Dan4G wrote:Hello everyone

I wonder what scores children have achieved, high, low or average?

DS has scored 216 and we are in CH catchment area. I am so worried that this is below the priority score and what could be our options in this situation?

Many thanks
Hi Dan4G
First of all your son did very well! There is no way of knowing at this point whether he will have a high enough score for CHB, last year he wouldn’t have. However it is worth listing the schools in your true order of preference.

Remember- a grammar school is just a school. If you do put the other grammar schools on the preference form please consider things like travel time and transport options to the schools. I have 2 at the local comp who get home at least an hour before their sibling who is at the catchment grammar school.... and then there is homework to do!

I would heartily recommend checking the journey time if you list non catchment schools; and also to make sure you have listed at least a couple of non grammar options too!