KEHS Scholarships and Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: KEHS Scholarships and Results

Post by hermanmunster »

rahulbsp wrote:Can anyone please advise how many pupil sit for KEHS exam and is comparatively easier or tougher than getting into Camphill for Girls ?
I know both have different exam styles with KEHS focusing more on creative writing and English but still on an average which one is easier of the two to get into ?
Not sure how many take it but they are different exams - I think the KEHS one is looking for potential
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You can see some very basic stats in the Foundation's Annual Report (latest one at https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... 340414.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;); around 600 applications (give or take) for 96 places. But the major hurdle is probably affordability rather than academic ability.
rahulbsp

Post by rahulbsp »

Perfect thanks
fm19

Post by fm19 »

Not sure how many take it but they are different exams - I think the KEHS one is looking for potential
I am afraid I don't agree.

I think the grammar school exam looks for potential to a degree, as it includes NVR which is one measure of intelligence which is not affected at all by the child's educational or home experience. A child can also pass GS even if their standard of writing (spelling, grammar etc.) isn't great due to primary schooling but they are still avid readers.

I think the KEHS exam tests the standard of education a child has enjoyed up to this point. I think this is particularly true of KEHS but, to an extent, also true of KES.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

fm19 wrote:
I am afraid I don't agree.

I think the grammar school exam looks for potential to a degree, as it includes NVR which is one measure of intelligence which is not affected at all by the child's educational or home experience. A child can also pass GS even if their standard of writing (spelling, grammar etc.) isn't great due to primary schooling but they are still avid readers.

I think the KEHS exam tests the standard of education a child has enjoyed up to this point. I think this is particularly true of KEHS but, to an extent, also true of KES.
I think from my experiences with my eldest taking the KEHS exam about 11 or so years back I do recall the headmasters report from her primary school was an important part of the application and it was not just dependent on the entrance exam. In comparison the grammar school applications were just dependent on the exam mark. Similarly KEHS looked at your exams scripts at what you might achieve in the future rather than simply the marks achieved. So it is fair to say they were looking at potential.

This is taken directly from the schools website on admissions at 11.

"Both English papers are designed to test reading and writing skills and to explore a candidate’s potential. In the past, poems, pictures and passages of prose have appeared on the papers. Tasks have included comprehension questions, creative writing and an opportunity to respond personally to stimulus material."
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
fm19

Post by fm19 »

But if those writing skills are not already up to scratch, they will not consider girls, and, in my experience, they have often missed very able children who may be limited at 11 due to primary school or home background but will go on to excel at secondary school.

So, yes, they may consider headmasters' reports and go beyond simply who got what mark but the children still have to be at a certain standard to be considered at all.
Knitfaststaywarm

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

I suppose, in the final analysis, all testing of children at 11 is a very blunt instrument. It's just a snapshot, on one day, influenced by many factors, the most predictive being, your parents socio-economic status & your parents educational attainment.

We (society) try to even it up, with a bit of social engineering here & there, but ultimately (for now at least) the games fixed.
fm19

Post by fm19 »

I suppose, in the final analysis, all testing of children at 11 is a very blunt instrument. It's just a snapshot, on one day, influenced by many factors, the most predictive being, your parents socio-economic status & your parents educational attainment.

We (society) try to even it up, with a bit of social engineering here & there, but ultimately (for now at least) the games fixed.
Very well said.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Knitfaststaywarm wrote:I suppose, in the final analysis, all testing of children at 11 is a very blunt instrument. It's just a snapshot, on one day, influenced by many factors, the most predictive being, your parents socio-economic status & your parents educational attainment.

All very true. And you forgot date of birth; age standardisation is simply a sticking plaster over the fact that relatively few summer-born children are entered into 11+ exams in the first place because perceptions of ability at primary school correlate very strongly to age.

But ideally we'd have an education system that worked better for everyone so parents didn't feel the need to pursue grammar schools or private education (speaking as a hypocrite who did both :oops: ).
Knitfaststaywarm

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

Oh same here mike, ( i'll sit over there on the hypocrisy table with you :) ).

I suppose if there were any * easy* answers, we'd have come up with them by now.

We are wedded to the idea that academics are the measure, no one ever says ":My childs going to work in a care home & I'm utterly thrilled". Of course part of this is how we pay those who do essential work. I think the pandemic showed us, we have gone very wrong somewhere.

The more I see of the utter shut down of freedom of speech & exchange of ideas on Uni Campus & the capitulation & capture by certain ideologies of the academy, the less invested in am, in the idea that my child *must* or *should* attend University. Excepting vocational courses (and even they're not immune!), Im not sure what a Uni is for any more. Certainly not for critical thinking.

2024: The Girl "Mum, I'm doing a Liberal Arts degree"
Me :( *Dies inside*
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now