The Result - now the next step - Appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Dodgy standardisation?? I hope that all who feel they have just missed out do fight and go to appeal, sound's like it is worth a shot :)
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Mum B - My DD did a similar thing a couple of yrs ago - she got 119 & 110. She had a similar disturbance in the paper that she got 119 in, but no real reason why she did so badly in the 2nd paper - except stress after the first paper. We took all the advise from this website, especially Etienne, and were strongly backed by the school, and won our appeal. So there is hope .... just make sure that you take the advice on planning your appeal, try and fore-guess what questions you might be asked, and know how you are going to answer them.

Good Luck!!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thank you for your advice x x x

DD got 120 (1st test) 118 (2nd test), predicted high 5s for KS2 ... she always worked at a good level but I would say that she has really only starting showing high quality work from Year 5. She is an August born and very young for her age emotionally (not a bad thing - all children grow up) and I think that it's taken till Year 5 for her academic abilities to show.

I just hope the Head agrees and can see the potential now beginning to develop!

Being an August born myself, I always felt I was on catch up with my friends, not perhaps accademically but emotionally - they always seemed to be one step ahead. Although there is a benefit when you're older - they get to 40 before you :wink:

Appeals section .... here I come x x x
Heartmum x x x
6468j

Same result on both tests

Post by 6468j »

I am new to this forum & need help. Does anyone know if you can retrieve 11+ papers. My DD got same result for both papers. The first one she said was really hard and had to guess loads, the second one she said was really easy and only guessed 3. In my mind this doesn't stack up. She missed out on passing by 3 points. We are thinking of going to appeal.

Many thanks. 6468j
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi 6468j
6468j wrote:Does anyone know if you can retrieve 11+ papers.
This question was asked a couple of days ago on this thread:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=12513

For all who are going to appeal, please post on the Appeals section, not on Bucks. Please create your "own" thread and stick to using it, read the instructions on what information we need from you and look at Sections B & E of the Appeal Q&As. That will answer most of your initial questions.

There is a facility on the Appeals section to post confidential or personal information to us by email, rather than disclosing it on the main forum.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi flossie
flossie wrote:There seems to be a few who narrowly missed out on a pass. Does anyone think this has something to do with the two test 1 papers and dodgy standardisation? My dd missed out on a pass by 1 point and took her test with the occ in Aylesbury.
We often hear about the "missed by one mark cases" first, because those parents are understandably particularly frustrated and angry, and therefore most determined to appeal.

The lower scores tend to emerge a little later this week, once people have made up their minds about whether to appeal or not. It is often only after meeting with the Head that people make their minds up.

We assume that there will be an explanation given to appeal panels about how the replacement first paper was standardised, and that information will in turn have to be given to parents whose children took the paper.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear 6468j

Welcome!

Test papers are exempt from the Data Protection Act, so you have no right to see them. Some LAs (such as Kent) exercise their discretion, and allow this. Bucks don't. I think you can request a manual remark or an analysis of the paper. There's a fee (£25).
Etienne
flossie

Post by flossie »

Thanks Sally-Anne. I tried to find out from Admissions about how the two paper 1's were standardised and spoke to three people who told me that it didn't matter as all papers are standardised to the same criteria - eventually when I was put through to the third person and pressed for an answer she said that they were all put together and standardised together, I have requested written confirmation of this.

My dd scored 120 in the first paper and 113 in the second. This is not going to be easy to explain, my dd said at the time that she thought she had done really well but the second paper was a bit more difficult. She has been predicted high level 5's in all her SAT's but her report shows that she is only average at Maths which doesn't make sense. Would it look strange if we didn't take along her school report from the Summer?
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi 'flossie' I'm in the same boat as you, in that my DD got 120 in her first test - it will be interesting to see what is put in writing to you!
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would it look strange if we didn't take along her school report from the Summer?
Not necessarily. Panels do like to see the school report, but it's not a requirement, and there are certainly parents who don't produce one.

However, there is a space on the headteacher's summary sheet for comments on English, Maths & Science. When you see what's written there, you can decide whether the school report would weaken your case or be an improvement!
Etienne