Allocation profiles

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Can anyone find a link like this for Oxfordshire? Can't see one myself.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I've just looked at the Allocation Profiles in a bit more detail, and compared them to last year.

Bucks veterans will remember that there was tremendous hoo-hah about a small number (roughly 17) children in Gerrards Cross/Denham not receiving places in 2005 at Doctor Challoners in Amersham. Last year, 2006, there wasn't an issue because the cohort was smaller. I had expected the same to happen this year, but not so.

The allocation for DGS (Boys) this year is down to "in area boys to 6.3 miles" (was 8.019 miles last year). That excludes much of Gerrards Cross and Denham - all the southern outposts of the DGS catchment area.

Obviously a larger number of children close to the school passed the 11+ this year, despite the overall cohort being a similar size. I wonder if the campaign by Gerrards Cross parents is likely to start up again?

Sally-Anne
Guest1663

Post by Guest1663 »

patricia wrote:Obviously losing it......I searched but could only find profiles for 2006. Patricia

Me too! Thanks, Sally-Anne.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I have a question regarding interpretation of the allocation profiles. Where it says "All catchment children offered, out area siblings and some out area applicants to a distance of x miles", does this mean that ALL siblings (i.e. including those outside x miles) and non-siblings only up to a distance of x miles, or a mixture of both siblings and non-siblings with x miles being the overall cut-off point for both types of applicant? It'll be relevant for us as our child's older sibling will be in the sixth form by the time she applies and therefore won't count :evil: :evil: :evil:

Any ideas welcome!

Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mary Lou

Yes, it means that all out of area siblings who applied for places have been given a place, regardless of distance.

Any remaining places have then been allocated to applicants with no siblings beyond the catchment area, up to the specified distance.

Sally-Anne

(Sally-Anne edited this post for clarity on Mar 2nd at 14.40pm!)
Jed

Post by Jed »

Hello Sally-Anne

Good to see you're still around and going for the 12+. Good luck.

Just a quick note about 'distance' in allocation. I think it refers to the distance from the school, and not to the distance BEYOND catchment. After all, in most cases there are some out-of-catchment areas on the boundries that are geographically nearer to the school than other in-catchment areas.

Jed
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks for that, Sally-Anne. Although we are out of catchment, we are well within the distance quoted so it should count in our favour if our little cherub passes the 11+, provided the cohort two years from now is still a relatively small one and there are not too many applications from out-area siblings.

Marylou
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Jed wrote:Just a quick note about 'distance' in allocation. I think it refers to the distance from the school, and not to the distance BEYOND catchment. After all, in most cases there are some out-of-catchment areas on the boundries that are geographically nearer to the school than other in-catchment areas. Jed
Yes, that is right, Jed. We actually live closer than some parts of the catchment area because of the way the county boundary is drawn.

BTW, good luck Sally-Anne with the 12+.

Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jed & Mary Lou,

Yes, my wording wasn't very clear - I've edited the post to say "beyond the catchment area, up to the specified distance", rather than the other way round, which was open to misinterpretation.

The last figures I saw from Bucks CC showed that the cohort was going to be very simlar for 3 years, so that should cover you quite neatly Mary Lou, although beware the blips such as the Challoners one that I pointed out above, where the geographic location of the successful part of the cohort can make a big difference to the final allocation.

Thanks for the good wishes on the 12+, but don't hold your breath, please!!

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Sally-Anne, I was looking at bucks offer details - I am correct in believing all children in catchment did not get offered a place at Chalfont Community College?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now