Uniform advice needed - Beaconsfield High School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MelW

Re: Uniform advice needed - Beaconsfield High School

Post by MelW »

In terms of SWBGS many items can be bought from the High Street, but I notice now you cannot buy the crest for the blazer which you used to be able to just sew onto an M&S black blazer. Also many items on the sports list just never get used and very quickly find themselves in the black hole of Lost Property ;)
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

MelW wrote:In terms of SWBGS many items can be bought from the High Street, but I notice now you cannot buy the crest for the blazer which you used to be able to just sew onto an M&S black blazer. Also many items on the sports list just never get used and very quickly find themselves in the black hole of Lost Property ;)
The blazers are relatively cheap at £28. My DS is horrified that having tied his windsor knot perfectly since the age of 6, he now has to have a clip on tie (and I think they ARE expensive at £7.50 a tie!) and £20 for a school scarf ... wow!!!

Mind you, I am so happy to have him at the school, I don't begrudge a penny of it!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

faitaccompli wrote:My DS is horrified that having tied his windsor knot perfectly since the age of 6, he now has to have a clip on tie Yuck!

Elf and Safety gone mad, I assume?
and £20 for a school scarf ... wow!!!
I certainly wouldn't bother buying one - I feel certain that they will be the height of uncool! Even coats are considered uncool by most teenagers, let alone a school scarf ...
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

My DD is in Year 7 at BHS this year so I can help here.

Visit the second hand stall in the school before you go to the fitting day - this is very well worth doing - we got a great blazer, gym skirt, extra school sweatshirt, PE sweatshirt, a couple of blouses, dance t-shirt, cookery apron, science apron (not that she's worn that one!!) - all for very good price. Do it before - cos then you arrive knowling exactly what you need (and what you do not!!).

The fitting people are very good at 'encouraging' you to get stuff you do not need! And it is very easy for the cost to get to be massive!!

I bought 2 new blouses and 2 from the second hand shop. This works fine for us. She also has 2 school skirts and 2 sweatshirts (to allow for one on and one in wash if needed).

They encourage you to buy the rucksack - DO NOT!! They are extortionate - and all the kids have reverted to other, trendier, bags by latest Spring term. Also do not believe you have to have that specific calculator etc etc etc. Take the list and note the optional things and don't be pressured. They also do trainers - and we did get one very good buy (reduced as last pair) - but these can also be bought else where. You don't need your own hockey stick, and shin pads can be bought online cheaper.

You do need to buy the large name tags - not sure if they are cheaper anywhere else - we bought from the outfitters as they need to be in house colours etc.

Hope that helps - second hand shop is the best tip - oh, and M&S for thick charcoal grey tights (we have needed lots of those!! cos of laddering!!).

Anything else - just ask!! :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

My DS is horrified that having tied his windsor knot perfectly since the age of 6, he now has to have a clip on tie Yuck!

Elf and Safety gone mad, I assume?
I presume it's to stop the "peanutting" and the awful short stubby tie look? My two look such scruffs with their short fat ties with the top button undone that in some ways I wish they ad clip-ons!
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

scary mum wrote:the "peanutting"
The WHAT? :lol: :lol:
dlb

Post by dlb »

Peanutting is when the tie is pulled so tight at both ends simultaneously so the knot becomes very very small! As far as I know....
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is a very dangerous game which children in some school 'do' to each other ... pulling hard on someone's tie can cause nasty injuries.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Booklady wrote:My DD is in Year 7 at BHS this year so I can help here.

Visit the second hand stall in the school before you go to the fitting day - this is very well worth doing - we got a great blazer, gym skirt, extra school sweatshirt, PE sweatshirt, a couple of blouses, dance t-shirt, cookery apron, science apron (not that she's worn that one!!) - all for very good price. Do it before - cos then you arrive knowling exactly what you need (and what you do not!!).

The fitting people are very good at 'encouraging' you to get stuff you do not need! And it is very easy for the cost to get to be massive!!

I bought 2 new blouses and 2 from the second hand shop. This works fine for us. She also has 2 school skirts and 2 sweatshirts (to allow for one on and one in wash if needed).

They encourage you to buy the rucksack - DO NOT!! They are extortionate - and all the kids have reverted to other, trendier, bags by latest Spring term. Also do not believe you have to have that specific calculator etc etc etc. Take the list and note the optional things and don't be pressured. They also do trainers - and we did get one very good buy (reduced as last pair) - but these can also be bought else where. You don't need your own hockey stick, and shin pads can be bought online cheaper.

You do need to buy the large name tags - not sure if they are cheaper anywhere else - we bought from the outfitters as they need to be in house colours etc.

Hope that helps - second hand shop is the best tip - oh, and M&S for thick charcoal grey tights (we have needed lots of those!! cos of laddering!!).

Anything else - just ask!! :D
Thanks very much Booklady, just the sort of insider knowledge I was looking for, I will have a look at the second-hand shop and I won't buy the rucksack or hockey stick!
I will buy a rucksack to start but just out of interest what sort of trendy bags are in at the moment?
My dd likes wearing trousers, especially on PE days, are these popular or do the girls prefer skirts?
I don't know anyone who attends BHS so thanks for your advice.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Hi Kiwimum - glad to be of help!

Bags tend to be of the Cath Kidston / Abercrombie etc variety - we held off till Xmas with the plain black rucksack - but were then informed that my DD and one other (her friend) were 'the only ones with these!!' - so we gave in! But I have to say our 'Cath Kidston' is a very similar bag, in very similar material bought from a shop on ebay - not the designer original - though many do have these :shock: :shock: ! She was delighted with it - and it was only about £20 (compared with £90ish I think!!) She got it as an Xmas present and its been really good.

None of the girls appear to wear trousers (although they are on the list) - the uniform fitters didn't even seem to know they were on the list!! I asked my DD and she says no-one wears them. They all wear the thick grey tights. The skirts are a particular style - with no black pleat - and - they all seem to be the same length! No matter how tall you are - which is just bizarre!!

Any other questions - feel free to ask!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now