How is everyone feeling?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherdad

Re: How is everyone feeling?

Post by anotherdad »

Failure is not a nice way of looking at it. I know that in this very politically-correct world we are encouraged to not have "losers" in sport and so forth but "failure" isn't a word I like to see applied to a 10/11 year old.

Now if you're talking about failure of the system....well that's another matter. My daughter didn't get the qualifying score in her 11+ but got a very good score nonetheless. It became clear later in Y6 that the system had failed her (very strong SATs) but thankfully, the 12+ system gave us another chance and she started at a GS in Y8. She is at or near the top of the class in most subjects so I can say that the 11+ system failed in her case.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Im so glad that Im not the only one feeling like this.

I know I wont get a wink of sleep tonight worrying about tomorrows results.

Its hard to explain but I feel so stressed and upset knowing that my son will be devastated if he doesnt pass and knowing there is nothing I can do about it (obviously I know I can appeal depending on his mark etc) but as for tomorrow it is out of my hands and I think that is something I find very hard to come to terms with ie I cant kiss it better (not sure if that makes any sense to anyone?) I know what I mean-I think!?!

Also Im not sure if anyone who has been through this before or Sally-Anne or Etienne but if anyone has a spare five minutes (and can remember!) could you please let me know what way the letter will be worded tomorrow. I know that the letter wont say Pass or Fail (thank goodness!) but a few times I have read on this forum that the letter isnt worded very clearly and I would HATE to make a mistake tomorrow when telling my son. The plan is that Im going to open the letter and then relay the contents to him. Many thanks in advance.

Best of luck to all parents and children tomorrow-it is going to be a loooong day :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You won't need to actually read the letter to get the message.

Around two thirds of the way down will be a single line, all on its own, giving the scores:

VRTS Paper 1: *** ........... VRTS Paper 2: ***

121 or more for either number and you are home and dry.

Good luck everyone!
strictlyfriends

Post by strictlyfriends »

As we are out of area my dd does not know when the results come through. I purposely didnt tell her. It was hard when going to take the test as there were huge signs everywhere telling us when the results were published. IF she passes I will tell her (even though there is no promise of a school) but if she fails I will hold onto that information until after Christmas. I may not even tell her at all! Not sure if it is the right decision but it is the one I have decided to go with.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thank you Sally-Anne-as helpful as always :) I will ignore the first few lines then until I get to the VRTS scores. Hopefully one of them will be 121 or over.

Strictlyfriends-I do feel for you as its a horrible dilemma you are in.

Once again, good luck everybody. Hopefully we will all be on here tomorrow with good news :D
rainbow1

Post by rainbow1 »

I have always said to my son that he will get £20 if he passes...and £20 if he doesn't, as a little reward for all the hard work he put in doing practice papers. I'm lucky in that he doesn't mind which school he goes to, he has friends already at both. Tell your children that if you work hard and do your best, then it doesn't matter what school you go to. My nephew went to the local secondary, studied Biology at Plymouth and was offered a three year PhD in New Zealand. He now gets paid for doing a job he loves in THE most beautiful place!
GOOD LUCK everyone for tomorrow!
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Ds is being remarkably sanguine about the whole thing. He thinks he did the best he could and while he'd be disappointed he knows we'd appeal or go for another option.

I think having had the horror of a much lower than expected score then an appeal for his big sister it makes this time a little easier.

His 'reward' came after the exams for all his hard work.
EmzMum

Post by EmzMum »

My DD is equally philosophical this evening: 'It's ok Mummy, I won't mind terribly if I don't qualify, I can be one of the smartest kids in [name of secondary] instead. I suppose that will be ok' :lol:

The pragmatism (not to mention modesty) is astounding!! haha
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

Good luck everybody. So it's just hours away before the envelopes are opened.
For OOC, it's just couple of hours before we hear the letter drop through the door......
Good luck to all and God bless all our little ones who dared to write and prepared for it.
FeelingSick

Post by FeelingSick »

I read or saw an interesting thing about how kids learn.

Give a bunch of kids the same test. Split them in half and tell the first half how clever they are to have aced the test. Tell the other half, "Well done. You worked really hard on that and it really paid off,"

Give them all another slightly harder test and the second group will on average do better because they will learn to associate success and praise with hard work rather than some serendipitous innate ability within themselves that requires no effort.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now