How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place March 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
EmzMum

Re: How to appeal against refusal of a Bucks GS place

Post by EmzMum »

Thanks KKT. Ours was on the 11th so in all likelihood was given more time (although, as you say, possibly STILL rushed).
Y6mum

Post by Y6mum »

Thank you Etienne for such a thorough dismantlement of the Admission Authority's case. I think all of us going through this will find it invaluable. I am like many other parents quite daunted about what I am likely to face in there, and want to get it right. So I was wondering where in the order of business, these points should be raised. Is it in the "Questions by the appellant and panel" phase, or in "The case for the appelant" phase?

The order of business (which I'm sure is the same for everyone) is:
  • The case for the Admission Authority
    Questions by the appellant and panel
    The case for the appelant
    Questions [presumably to us by the Admission Authority and panel]
    Summing up by the Admission Authority
    Summing up by the appelant
    Parents and Admission Authority leave
    Decision by the IAP on First Stage
If it is in "The case for the appelant" phase, then at what point do we present our academic case? Are we pending a go-ahead to present this based on our challenge to FCO in this hearing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

• 1. The case for the Admission Authority
    2. Questions by the appellant and panel
    3. The case for the appellant
    4. Questions [presumably to us by the Admission Authority and panel]
    5. Summing up by the Admission Authority
    6. Summing up by the appellant

Parents and Admission Authority leave
    Decision by the IAP on First Stage
As I read it, you will be invited to ask questions about 'fair, consistent & objective' at item 2. That's what I would expect.

I doubt they'd then stop for a decision on 'fair, consistent & objective' - indeed, the bit at the end suggests the decision making will come after the entire hearing. The fact that there's no summing up for 'fair, consistent & objective' after item 2 seems to confirm that.

Item 3 would be your academic case.

Item 6 would be your summing up of everything (you don't believe the admission authority has come up with any specific evidence that the review was applied 'fairly & consistently & objectively' in your case - and if that is the finding of the appeal panel, would they kindly take a completely fresh look at your case for selection, and consider all the academic evidence suggesting that a grammar school place would be appropriate?).

Although the lead up to this is bound to be stressful, the feedback we've always had about BCC appeals on the forum is that most panels and presenting officers are very considerate and will do their best to put you at ease.
Etienne
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

I just want to say that I am in the middle of pulling everything together for Appeal 1 tomorrow and would have been nowhere without your outline of all the points to raise. I am feeling slightly more relaxed about it (I stress slightly).

I was wondering if anyone has yet been to the panel using your advice and how they found it?

I did speak to one person who knew of someone who had had an appeal on Friday and apparently it went well and the panel members were very nice.

Do we know when the appeals started and how many there are?
Y6mum

Post by Y6mum »

Good luck ConfusedAylesburyMum, I hope everything goes well :)
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

Thank you Y6Mum.

Will try and feedback tomorrow night on any points they make and how it went.

We are using tomorrow as our test run for Appeal 2 on Friday as I do not expect AHS to have any places available even if we do get through tomorrow!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:I was wondering if anyone has yet been to the panel using your advice and how they found it?

I did speak to one person who knew of someone who had had an appeal on Friday and apparently it went well and the panel members were very nice.

It really is very early days to be able to draw any conclusions. As far as I know the first appeals were held on Thursday or Friday. We won't know how many there are in total for some while to come.

I can however say that panel members are rarely anything other than nice. They have a task to complete, but they try to do it with understanding and sympathy for parents.
Y6mum

Post by Y6mum »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:Thank you Y6Mum.

Will try and feedback tomorrow night on any points they make and how it went.

We are using tomorrow as our test run for Appeal 2 on Friday as I do not expect AHS to have any places available even if we do get through tomorrow!!
Similar to us. The appeal for our first choice (which is almost certainly overscribed) is on May 1st. With our second appeal a week later on the 8th.

Just wish I could do a proper rehearsal beforehand :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:Will try and feedback tomorrow night on any points they make and how it went.
Obviously you are very welcome to post feedback here, but we also have an official feedback thread: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have the time to do so it would be greatly appreciated if you could post on there as well.
You never know - the distance increased in the second round, and must be right on the edge of being "All Offered". Several years ago I recall someone who had done all the preparation for an oversubscription appeal in July, and was poised for the hearing on a Monday. She received a call on the Friday before the appeal to say that her daughter was being offered a place.

Good luck tomorrow!
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

ConfusedAylesburyMum wrote:I just want to say that I am in the middle of pulling everything together for Appeal 1 tomorrow and would have been nowhere without your outline of all the points to raise. I am feeling slightly more relaxed about it (I stress slightly).

I was wondering if anyone has yet been to the panel using your advice and how they found it?

Hi there

We attended ours on Friday and it was not as a daunting experience as I thought it would be! Just be well prepared and you will be fine. The hearings on Friday were for the SHFG school and the schools rep said that there were 5 appeals that day and there were 5 days worth for that particular school (he was to be there on 4 out of the 5 days).

We have appeal number 2 coming up for AHS and we know there are no spaces from what I have heard (or very few), so will give it our best shot. I am glad that the process is coming to an end, whether it is a positive or negative outcome, I know that I have done all I can.

Good luck to you all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now