BUCKS TEST HOW WELL DID THEY DO?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dinoo

Post by dinoo »

I am reading through this forums and already seen lots of Parents assuming their Child got 1 wrong and 4 wrongs and so on. Its always good to hold on to hopes but the fact remains has the Child actually marked the Answers with a Dark Pencils and in the right block? has it got any rubbing done properly on the wrong Answers etc. All these factors come into consideration as these papers are corrected through OMR and not done manually. Although My Son said he has done quite well I am holding my breath till the Results are out and did not just jump to conclusions.
Kids are bond to make silly Mistakes such as reading the Question working it out and Marking them in the wrong block, Just that some time slight Neglegence could get the Answers wrong. My Son is doing these Papers for Over a Year and still at times get the working right but goes and marks it in the wrong block. Frustrating but this is how their Brain works as many a times they have this running in back of their mind I got 50 min to do the whole paper and there are more tough questions to do as the Paper Progresses.
From My experience Last Year a Daughter of my friend who appeared for 11+ test for Bucks, she always used to get 90 to 99% in Practice Papers but poor girl after all the efforts she put over a year she ended up getting 119 for Bucks although she said the Exams were quite easy and did not miss out on any question. Please do not have high expectations till the results are out, many factors needs to be considered and need 100% accuracy while doing them as Often the questions are always tricky. Good Luck for the Next Weeks Paper
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi dinoo

Roughly translated "don't count your chickens until they have hatched"!

Very wise advice, speaking as someone whose son blithely came home saying that the first paper was easy, and scored a whopping 112 on it when the results finally appeared! :roll:

Sally-Anne
duffymoon

Post by duffymoon »

some sensible comments there dinoo. My son came home and said he found it quite easy. he came out of school and confidently said he thinks he may have done it. he managed to finish with 5 minutes to spare allowing him to go back and check he's answered every question, which I'm relieved at as in the practise papers he was running out of time. but as you say we're not going to jump to conclusions but wait till Nov 23. A couple of his mates also found it fairly easy but a couple of others found some questions hard. So it could be a case of this paper containing questions types my son prefers and the next one he may find harder.
yplx

Post by yplx »

my daughter got a fever (39C) the evening just before the exam day! what a luck! Somebody told me there was a thing called exam fever and that might be it. We thought that as she had got a cold and fever last week that would take off the chance to get a cold during exam period. but it strikes again! it hits hard and incredible to me!

Now she has to be tested separately. will the test paper be the same difficulty as in the exam? anybody knows?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi yplx,

You may be able to find the answer here
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 6738#36738
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi yplx

The paper she sits will be exactly the same as the one the other children sat yesterday.

This demonstrates why we ask people not to post details of the question types on each paper, as there will be children still taking that same paper for several weeks to come, either because they were ill on the day or because they are out-of-county.

Please check carefully what the arrangements for the re-sit will be if it is to be administered by her school. Some schools have a very cavalier attitude towards re-sits, putting the children in the dining room to take the test whilst lunch is being prepared next door, or even in the school office whilst normal business continues! The school should also tell you on which day the re-sit will happen, and it should be held at exactly the same time of day as the other children's test - usually 9 am or 9.30 am.

Sally-Anne
yplx

Post by yplx »

Thanks Sally-anne and all. it has not come to my mind about checking the venue of re-sit. Now I will.
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

Just for your interest, a highly experienced colleague of mine at the school where I teach said this first 11+ paper was one of the easiest he could remember for Bucks. Presumably standardisation will have to adjust accordingly, if there's a high percentage of top raw scores.

Post by 123 »

and it should be held at exactly the same time of day as the other children's test - usually 9 am or 9.30
In Warwickshire the test is being administered tomorrow and some children are there from 9-12 and some from 1-4 pm. My child is the latter. Sally Anne, I feel that your comment makes a lot of sense and my child's Head was not happy about the different times as most children are more used to doing numeracy and literacy in the mornings leaving the second lot of children at a disadvantage.
Any comments/ suggestions??
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi 123

I do not think these are ideal test situations, but I fall back on Patricia's advice - a banana or other high
carb snack around 30 minutes before the test!

I would certainly note the contrast in the test situations and be ready to present them at an Appeal.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now