Fingers Crossed for you all that are awaiting results on Fri

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

My childrens junior school held on the afternoon of results day, circle time. The head discussed the fact the it was not passing/failing it was selected/non selected. She also explained that some children go to grammar and do not succeed as per expectations and some go to uppers and exceed all expectations. Some of the childrens thoughts and fears were quite sad. Will my friend still speak to me if I pass and she doesn't. I dont want to disappoint my Mum and Dad....

As parents we were told not to open the letters on school grounds [quite rightly] and were asked NOT to tell our children their scores. Unfortunaetly it does become a 'bitchfest' my score is better than yours and the like...

I was a very good girl, did not tell them their scores, just that they had done very well [ 141]

However, some parents did tell their children, one particular girl told my son her mark and of course wanted the information reciprocated. I was very proud, he just told her that he had passed and his mum said his score was very good. The answer from this 'lovely girl'....'oh you must have only just passed then and your mums ashamed to tell you, I got ??? so I am much better than you I must of got the best marks in the school!!!' [she didn't!]

It is a very difficult situation, some parents will tell, others will not. Some children are gracious about their selection others are not. Some children are devasted they have not been selected, others will take it out on their friends.

It is a massive learning curve for these children [ and parents] on how they cope with the results. What a shame they are only 10/11....

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's probably worth me commenting that in my LONG experience of teaching the VR score [or how much over 121 you get] was a poor predictor of GS success!

The KS2 NC test marks are the best and personality comes into too!

Sometimes those who get a high VR think they can sit back on their laurels and do no work.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Might sound a bit naff to us oldies, but I explained to our 10 year old that the 11+ is simply a muggles version of the Hogwarts sorting hat in Harry Potter.

Going under the hat/11+ can feel a bit strange or even slightly scary, but all it is doing is delving into your mind to select the school (Hogwarts house) that's best for you.

No such thing as "failure".
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If only the 11+ was as reliable as the sorting hat :shock:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I couldn't agree more, Guest55!

And as for Slytherin ... well, a couple of schools come to mind! :evil:

Mercifully neither of them are on Dad40's list.

Sally-Anne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Yes, one can have a cutesy benign view of the world if one lives where I do :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now