Grammar Schools near Marlow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Grammar Schools near Marlow

Post by Guest55 »

South Bucks house prices are crazy - have you thought about other areas in Bucks?

Looking at schools in Year 6 is too late.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Buckinghamshire secondaries may be completely different, but I think that all the open mornings I've been to here (Essex / Southend) would have been open to the relevant child had I decided to take him / her, or had they wanted to come. (One school didn't do an evening, so they had to). As for visiting without your husband, I would have thought that it would be infinitely better than not going at all, but if you are moving before the exam date and his employer may be more accommodating then, it's less of an issue. Don't forget to check out the Upper schools as well, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Guest55 wrote:South Bucks house prices are crazy - have you thought about other areas in Bucks?

Looking at schools in Year 6 is too late.
Yes, I think that the house prices are crazy but then again I'm coming from a Surrey village and its on par with that.

Why is it too late to look at schools in year 6?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

ToadMum wrote:Buckinghamshire secondaries may be completely different, but I think that all the open mornings I've been to here (Essex / Southend) would have been open to the relevant child had I decided to take him / her, or had they wanted to come. (One school didn't do an evening, so they had to). As for visiting without your husband, I would have thought that it would be infinitely better than not going at all, but if you are moving before the exam date and his employer may be more accommodating then, it's less of an issue. Don't forget to check out the Upper schools as well, though.
I was always going to visit the schools, but just not in Sept of Year 5 but in September of Year 6.

Thanks for reminding me to consider visiting the upper schools :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They will have taken the test before you look at schools ... and you might not like SWBGS at all and it will be too late to look elsewhere. It is a 'marmite' school as are some of the other GS.

You need to be looking at schools before you decide where to live.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi BlueBerry

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find people much more knowledgeable than me but here are my thoughts.

If I were you and had good schools that my children were in Catchment for in Surrey then I would not move.

I am probably one of a minority that moved to Bucks NOT knowing that they ran the Grammar school system :oops: I hate it-I think it is an unfair and divisive system :(

I have got a son at Grammar who is very happy there and another son who will be sitting the 11+ next September. Obviously Iam hoping that my younger boy qualifies so that he can join his big brother otherwise he will be heartbroken. He certainly has the potential but as I know from some of my older son's friends who "should" have qualified there are no guarantees on the day.

Good luck with whatever you decide-for what it's worth I have a friend who has got a son and a daughter at SWBGS and they have all been very happy with the school.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Guest55 wrote:They will have taken the test before you look at schools ... and you might not like SWBGS at all and it will be too late to look elsewhere. It is a 'marmite' school as are some of the other GS.

You need to be looking at schools before you decide where to live.
Thanks for your reply, I'm confused somewhat though. Why does it matter if I look at schools or not before the test day? Surely my son can sit the test & then we can decide which school to apply for? Or do you mean I should look at school so that I buy/rent in the right area?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hi 2littleboys,

Thanks for the welcome :)

I am actually near an outstanding secondary. Lots of people commit school fraud just to gain a place for their children. We bought and paid a huge premium for our house 4 years ago just to ensure that my son can get in there. However, the area that I live in is far from perfect. I know that it was 'too white' 4 years ago but didn't think that there would be any problems. My area is not multicultural at all and I can foresee problems in the future. Luckily my son is only 9 and hasn't picked up on the underlying racism in the area. So ultimately for my son's self confidence & esteem it will be best to move out of here. And I would like to move now so that he can start and finish in the same secondary school and gain some friends.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BlueBerry wrote:? Or do you mean I should look at school so that I buy/rent in the right area?
Yes - see the last sentence of my earlier post.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi again BlueBerry

It has made me very sad to read your post but I can see why you wish to move.

I'm not sure which of the Bucks Grammars would be the most ethnically mixed (very sorry if that is not a correct phrase-I don't want to offend anyone) Perhaps Burham Grammar?

I'm only saying the above as the last thing you would want to do is jump out of the frying pan into the fire so to speak :roll:

If you have a look at the school section on the Bucks CC Website there is a timeline for this year's sitters which you may find helpful.

Best of luck :)