Job vs School dilema

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rayramano007

Job vs School dilema

Post by rayramano007 »

Hello all,

I hope everyone is looking forward to Christmas holidays and plenty of drinks, food and tele :) I know i'm looking forward to the break.
I have a question about grammar schools, catchment area, time to be in catchment area etc. I have searched for the answers in the forum but couldn't find clarification to what i'm looking for. So if someone could answer my queries that would be great.

My company is closing down office down south and moving it's operations to Bucks county (near high wycombe).
The process is going to take 10+ months with offices in Bucks will start it's operations from September 2017.

I would like to move to Bucks but not before Sept 2017. But for grammar schools that would be too late? Exactly before which date I should move to Bucks catchment area to apply for grammar schools for 2017 exams and 2018 admissions? I want to leave it to the very few days to move so I don't have to travel everyday and could save time and money.

Any advise on this please?

thanks
Ray
Sally-Anne

Re: Job vs School dilema

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hello Ray, and welcome!

You're fine to move in September 2017 for 2018 testing and admission - the deadline for address evidence is 1st October. The full timeline with all deadlines is here:

http://beta.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sc ... y-in-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

S-A
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The only issue would be if you want DCGS as you'd need to be in catchment by April ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:The only issue would be if you want DCGS as you'd need to be in catchment by April ...
That and considering the Upper School options in the area of your preferred grammar school(s), in the event that your DC doesn't actually achieve a grammar pass.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good point Toadmum - HW is probably the trickiest to decide re a back-up option.
rayramano007

Post by rayramano007 »

Thanks Sally, Guest55, ToadMum for your response.
From the link Sally provided; I found out the following info:

Transfer Test registration between 8th May 17 - 30th June 17
School Online Application opens 11th Sept 17 - 31st Oct 17 (with 20th Oct for Paper application)
Actual Exam - 14th Sept 17.

The first time councils will have my address will be on 8th May 17 when I apply for Transfer Test registration.
So I should be in the catchment area by 8th May at the latest?
How will they calculate my catchment area by 1st October 17 or April for DCGS?
Any ideas?
rayramano007

Post by rayramano007 »

rayramano007 wrote:Thanks Sally, Guest55, ToadMum for your response.
From the link Sally provided; I found out the following info:

Transfer Test registration between 8th May 17 - 30th June 17
School Online Application opens 11th Sept 17 - 31st Oct 17 (with 20th Oct for Paper application)
Actual Exam - 14th Sept 17.

The first time councils will have my address will be on 8th May 17 when I apply for Transfer Test registration.
So I should be in the catchment area by 8th May at the latest?
How will they calculate my catchment area by 1st October 17 or April for DCGS?
Any ideas?
I found the answer's to my questions in the link provided by Sally. Thanks.
For other's benefit here is what I found out.

http://beta.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sc ... ing-house/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The above link describes the rules about moving house and when we should be there.

Some schools have supplementary forms. DCGS has this form and it specifies we have to be in the catchment area by April.
I found these information here: http://beta.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sc ... ion-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and used this link https://services.buckscc.gov.uk/school- ... ns/schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for school directory.

I hope this information helps others who look for this info.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the information you have posted is already on this website.

What is your back-up plan and which GS are you targeting as you won't be in catchment by April?
rayramano007

Post by rayramano007 »

Guest55 wrote:All the information you have posted is already on this website.

What is your back-up plan and which GS are you targeting as you won't be in catchment by April?
Still assessing our options. I don't have a back-up plan yet.
Before the Christmas break everything was confirmed about work.
So we have to move but still don't know where and when. Still looking.
Moving before April is difficult as travel & time to work will be very hard and expensive.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Forget DCGS then and look elsewhere - the Uppers around HW [apart from St Michaels which is Catholic] are not great if he doesn't qualify.

Do you have to live in High Wycombe?

Personally I would look at good Uppers and there is bound to be a GS nearby - do you really want a single gender GS?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now