Dr Challoner's Grammar (Boys) Year9 places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mstsui

Dr Challoner's Grammar (Boys) Year9 places

Post by mstsui »

Hello all,

Realistically, what are the chances of getting a Year9 place in Dr Challoner's Grammar please? Thank you.

We live in Croxley (Herts), with the straight line distance method, we are 7 miles from the school. Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Mstsui
Sally-Anne

Re: Dr Challoner's Grammar (Boys) Year9 places

Post by Sally-Anne »

Zero, I'm afraid.

Places very rarely come up beyond Year 7, and for any that do, there will be takers from within the catchment area.
mstsui

Post by mstsui »

Thank you Sally-Anne.

If looking at Y7 places, is 7 miles considered in or out of catchment? Am I on the borderline? Am thinking if I should even register for the Bucks 11+ test if there is no chance of getting in. Thank you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Herts is out of catchment - the DCGS catchment area is entirely within Bucks, and with one exception (a year when they snuck in a change to the admission rules at the last minute), the school has never allocated outside catchment.

You would almost certainly get a place at Chesham Grammar.
mstsui

Post by mstsui »

But Chesham Grammar is further away from us? Do they have a bigger catchment area then?

Sorry am entirely new to Bucks as I hadn't consider Bucks before until someone mentioned it to me. Thank you so much for the advice ! :-)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Chesham Grammar also has a Bucks-only catchment area, but because it is right on the edge of the county, it ends up taking a lot of children from Herts and some parts of NW London.

There are hundreds of children who commute to the school from those areas on the Met Line every day.