BUCKS RESULTS 13TH OCTOBER: Please read this before posting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Re: BUCKS RESULTS 13TH OCTOBER: Please read this before post

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sympathies to both 2littleboys and morrit.

On 118, a Review is worth a shot in both cases. Go and see your respective Head teachers for a chat and see what their thoughts are, and what Recommendation they gave for your DC.

No need to tell the DC that you are submitting a Review if you prefer not to. At least for them the result would then be "cut and dried", even if your agony is prolonged by a few more months.

Aethel, x-posted with you, and I am sorry to hear your news. I'm glad your DD has taken it so well, but I do wish your long and trying journey could have had a different ending.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Karma67 wrote:DS wasn't successful, 103, actually quite surprised at his score, he's always been top of the class and exceeding expected levels,( for example his spelling age when he was 6 1/2yrs old was scored as 13 1/2!), He's a bit disappointed with his score :( and has already asked me if we can go for a selection review. We went for a review with his older sister and were successful but her score was 116, but I'm not hopeful with a 103....will mull it over this weekend.

Well done to all that have been successful ane good luck to those still waiting for results ***

Now where's that bottle of wine..... :wink: :)
Commiserations. It must be tough for your son if was expecting to qualify.

There is quite a big gap between 103 and 121 - probably at least three or four children in your son's class will have got higher scores than him but still not qualified.

I'm not an expert but I would think it would be quite difficult to get a positive HT review unless this result was totally unexpected and completely at odds with all of his previous work. You have nothing to lose by asking for an informal discussion with the Head, but I would imagine it won't be straightforward from here.
Louey

Post by Louey »

Blue_Marigold wrote:DD missed out by a few marks but she's happy with the score so all good!
Blue Marigold - commiserations but I echo what others have said - she sounds like a very level headed young lady.

2littleboys - 118 is so close! How did your son feel when he found out? If you think he's suited to grammar and you have the support of his school then it has to be worth a selection review.

Aethel - I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's result but she sounds very pragmatic about it and at least you didn't have to wait any longer to find out (as I know she took it later on).

Well done to RickyardBob and BiscuitEater.

After a very long day, we finally opened the envelope (which had arrived in the end) at 6.30pm. DS has qualified. He is thrilled. I am relieved. Champagne in the freezer. I am hoping for some positive news from some of the others on here. Huge thanks to all for the help and support we have received on this forum both from some of the long-standing forumites (Sally-Anne, Guest, anotherdad) and those who had children taking it this year.
Roseylea

Post by Roseylea »

We didn't qualify. Missed by 15 marks so no point appealing. DS has always been 'one of the bright ones' all through school but selective school bviously not for him based on the test. Gutted we didn't have more time to prepare as can't help wondering if that would have made a difference and we've let him down. We unexpectedly moved to a selective area due to change of jobs so just did limited prep for a few months. DS seems ok about result so not too bad - I'm proabbaly more bothered as galling to miss out on a great school in walking distance! Out of interest (for our next child in a few years if we're still here!) - honestly how much prep did you folks all do? Tutoring an hour a week for a year in advance? More than that, longer than that? Less than that?
Well done to all the children and parents regardless of marks anyway! At least for most of us its over for now!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What a great lot of parents you are this year :)

It is so lovely to read your posts, whether 121 was achieved or not, you're all so positive.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Well done to all the children , this process it not an easy one. A few years ago (CEM) my eldest didn't qualify, a score of 115. We went to review and we were successful. HT was very supportive , 1/1 recommendation and Y2 Sats level 3 , we had no extenuating circumstances other than an August child. I hope you don't mind me posting as I thought it might be helpful if your thinking or not thinking of a review. Good luck with future of all your DD and DS ***
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Well done to those whose DCs have qualified and sorry to hear of those who missed out X x x

We've now come out the other end, 3 DCs - been through appeals, reviews = won and lost, eldest DC just started University and youngest decided to have a go at the 13+ and qualified - now at the same grammar school as our middle DC. Life has many twists and turns, and sometimes what looks like a very bad day can just be clearing the way for good things to come.

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love and enjoy what you are doing, you will be successful."

Whatever decisions you make, whichever road you choose, with supportive loving parents our DCs will always shine and make a success of their lives, one test does not define them :D
Heartmum x x x
Ka2602

Post by Ka2602 »

Congratulations to those who have qualified and sorry to hear about the rest

My DD qualified however just by a margin (score removed by Moderator), we live in OA just inside the OA range for DS Challoner's Girls school as per 2017 allocation profiles.

What are our chances with score removed by Moderator?
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Ka2602 wrote:Congratulations to those who have qualified and sorry to hear about the rest

My DD qualified however just by a margin score removed ), we live in OA just inside the OA range for DS Challoner's Girls school as per 2017 allocation profiles.

What are our chances with score removed?

Allocation in bucks is purely by a score of 121 , which you have achieved, then distance. Look at previous years for DCGS, just depends where you live.
Ka2602

Post by Ka2602 »

Thanks. I did that. 2017 stats suggest "OA to 8.250" so does that mean all who qualified and within 8.25 miles of the school will get through ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now