BUCKS RESULTS 13TH OCTOBER: Please read this before posting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

neo1232

Re: BUCKS RESULTS 13TH OCTOBER: Please read this before post

Post by neo1232 »

Amber - I can sorry to this forum but I did not started it and I did not say someone post utter rubbish. He can very well disageee with my post without using that phrase.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

neo1232, the reason you are challenged on your view is that it is only your inference based on an extremely small sample of anecdotal evidence. You cannot possibly extrapolate that to a certainty that NVR was particularly difficult, generated lower scores or similar judgements. Your judgement is incorrect because the process is standardised. You made the same point on an appeals thread earlier, which I answered here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 35&t=52881

You will have noticed on these forums that there are a lot of misconceptions, urban myths and downright inaccurate information being promulgated. Keeping a lid on these is extremely difficult because these things take on a life of their own. One person's misconception can quickly become rumour and from there, accepted fact. It happens all the time, whether it's birth month weighting "deducting marks", someone somewhere getting a very high score and being allocated a Bucks GS place even though they live many miles away, tactical placing of schools on the CAF and many other urban myths. This does a lot of damage, particularly to those new to the process who see these things written here and assume they are true. It leads to many people entering the Bucks process when they probably shouldn't have done so or worse: missing out on places because they've listened to poor advice on CAF choices.

Another poster has recently made a number of statistical pronouncements recently, none of which have any sound basis and all of which can only have arisen from his/her hunch and anecdotal evidence. I've challenged that poster on two occasions now to tell us the source of their judgements and they've declined to respond. Their hunches may cause others to make poor decisions on school choices. That's why some people will very robustly challenge statements such as those you have made.

By all means speculate on something you find interesting about the process, but when a statement is made as if it were partially or totally factual, it undermines the good advice people like Guest55 spend hours dispensing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

neo1232 wrote:Amber - I can sorry to this forum but I did not started it...
I'm not a mod (sighs of relief all round) so won't comment further other than to say - how very grown up of you. :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

neo, I'm not speaking as a Moderator here, because this is my thread, and I can't moderate it, but there is a world of difference between criticising a statement a person makes and criticising the person themselves.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think "Utter rubbish" in this context is a synonym for "simply not true" or "completely wrong", as in:

your post was simply not true and completely wrong.

I'm not sure you would have been happy to have had that posted either! And, I'm afraid that the facts support Guest55 - you are wrong and it is simply not true and you cannot deduce what you purport to be deducing from the facts and figures posted. You have made lots of posts on the forum, and some are very valid - so people are listening and taking note - therefore it is important that what you say is right otherwise it gives misleading information.

Amber's point is that, if you are offended by the way someone has "spoken" to you, it doesn't help your cause by responding in the way you did - which was equally offensive.

Crossed with Amber, S-A and anotherdad - everyone seems to be saying the same thing, neo.....
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

On behalf of the many lurking readers of this thread;

I wish to present ANOTHERDAD with the Oscar for best use of an unusual word within a Forum thread disagreement: “promulgated “.

Speech!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

neo1232 wrote:Amber - I can sorry to this forum but I did not started it and I did not say someone post utter rubbish. He can very well disageee with my post without using that phrase.
I'm a female mathematician btw ... what you said was wrong and that had already been pointed to you elsewhere. If you keep posting wrong information then it will be robustly 'rubbished'.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Aethel wrote:On behalf of the many lurking readers of this thread;

I wish to present ANOTHERDAD with the Oscar for best use of an unusual word within a Forum thread disagreement: “promulgated “.

Speech!
Anotherdad has won many of my secret forum awards! I quoted the "plural of anecdote is not data" from a while ago, yet again, just now.....
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

I agree with everyone I am also trying to help every one with my little way I can.

This forum has gives lots of invaluable help my dc journey and really thanks
Everyone including G55.

We are not allowing score to be published for Bucks otherwise we would have gets more sample size.

Sally - you also disageee with my view same time as G55 , you can see word choice between 2 post.

As I mentioned I am truly sorry to this forum - I was compelled to use my phrase.

My intention was to help someone who are in borderline and they can build case with help of FOI request if possible.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think this would be a good point to draw a line under this and everyone move on.