Clubs at JHGS & Voluntary Contribution

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

Re: Clubs at JHGS & Voluntary Contribution

Post by BlueBerry »

CSB wrote: I should add that the school made it clear that this was a suggested contribution, and you could change the form to any amount you felt you could afford, or not contribute at all.
Yes, JHGS also said that the £30 was a suggested contribution.
CSB wrote: Perhaps we're not like most GS parents, but we didn't invest in tutoring, and independent school wasn't an option. But £50/month in comparison to most commercially run out-of-school activities, or private music lessons for example, seems pretty good value for the range of clubs, drama and sports on offer at the school. We pay more than that per month for 2 hours' gymnastics a week for one of our kids!
Yes snap!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I would be more comfortable with, and willing to support a school's financial requirements if they quantified it properly. For example, if they demonstrated that the combination of funding cuts and unavoidably increased costs had led to a shortfall of, say £403,658 p.a. compared to the last year they were able to balance their budget, then I would be much happier to pay the £28.03 they consequently suggested all 1200 parents contribute per month. I know that there will be parents with more than one child and that some parents will pay less or not at all, but perhaps you can see my point? Asking for suspiciously rounded figures like £30 and £50 suggests to me that they're making it up on the basis of what they think they might get away with. By actually quantifying things accurately they would be demonstrating the exact consequence of funding austerity and be less open to accusations that they were money-grabbing.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I can’t quite remember but I think that JHGS requester funds to update their science labs. Or maybe the science labs have already been updated and this was used as an example? I remember that they are trying to raise a certain amount of money. I can obviously go and check the paperwork....... But it’s rather late and I’m in bed :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Burnham Grammar used to suggest £150 per year but it seems to have vanished from parentpay. I'm not sure if they took it off when they were trying to raise money for building works. I don't think many people paid it.
scary mum
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

anotherdad wrote:I would be more comfortable with, and willing to support a school's financial requirements if they quantified it properly. For example, if they demonstrated that the combination of funding cuts and unavoidably increased costs had led to a shortfall of, say £403,658 p.a. compared to the last year they were able to balance their budget, then I would be much happier to pay the £28.03 they consequently suggested all 1200 parents contribute per month. I know that there will be parents with more than one child and that some parents will pay less or not at all, but perhaps you can see my point? Asking for suspiciously rounded figures like £30 and £50 suggests to me that they're making it up on the basis of what they think they might get away with. By actually quantifying things accurately they would be demonstrating the exact consequence of funding austerity and be less open to accusations that they were money-grabbing.
I guess it depends on what the funds are for. At our GS the school fund is absolutely not to plug holes in the budget due to government cuts. It is used to pay for the 'nice to have' clubs, to run the minibus, to hire the uni astro sometimes, to subsidise trips that are not fundamental to core curriculum. If there hadn't been cuts then the school may have had the money to pay for some of these but as it is the national funding covers the operation of the school for educational purposes and the voluntary fund makes the kids experience a bit fuller.
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

The more you all comment, the sadder it all sounds. I guess I was comparing the range of extra curricular activities with our local comprehensive - there are more, and they are more interesting too (or maybe I'm just biased!!) Extra curricular stuff has always been important to us, which is why only the GS within a regular scheduled shortish bus ride of us could be considered as DD could stay late then.

I can't believe primaries get more funding, so presumably it is the PTA activities that make the difference between having to ask parents for more cash.

We also couldn't afford to send any of our children privately! Especially not all four :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: but we're happy to contribute given the situation it sounds like secondary schools are in.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

It depends on the area really - the local comp here is 1800 kids, DD's GS is less than 800 so there are undoubtedly more clubs and facilities at the comp. The comp has a great drama theatre for example (DD goes there for an activity). GS has virtually no green space as it is landlocked and they have maximised use of the plot. The boys GS has more space to be fair.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

sparklies wrote:The more you all comment, the sadder it all sounds. I guess I was comparing the range of extra curricular activities with our local comprehensive - there are more, and they are more interesting too (or maybe I'm just biased!!) Extra curricular stuff has always been important to us, which is why only the GS within a regular scheduled shortish bus ride of us could be considered as DD could stay late then.

I can't believe primaries get more funding, so presumably it is the PTA activities that make the difference between having to ask parents for more cash.

We also couldn't afford to send any of our children privately! Especially not all four :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: but we're happy to contribute given the situation it sounds like secondary schools are in.
It is sad but it's a product of the politics of the day I'm afraid. Whatever one's political affiliations, I don't know anyone who supports continued austerity because the general feeling among my friends and family is that it's gone too far and on too long. It's not a blue vs red issue because I don't think either of the main parties has a proper, viable, costed plan for the economy - they both seem to make it up on the hoof in reaction to events and in fear of the strong views held at the extremes of their own parties. What we're seeing in education is simply a reflection of the general lack of fiscal support for all public services. The under-funding of education is arguably the worst example of negligence because of the long-term impact it will have on future generations and society. It's not just a money issue though. The political undermining and deliberate de-professionalisation of the teaching profession are things we will all pay dearly for for years to come.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not sure political parties will plan any policy, going forward...it seems to me that it is politics by public reaction, nowadays. I do know that funding is all about robbing Peter to pay Paul, and if they fund education, cuts have to come from somewhere else - but, like the NHS, I think we are at the point where those cuts HAVE to come from somewhere else now.... :(
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

I agree with you both entirely. I knew there were issues (who doesn't?) but the fact it has reached a point where it's considered quite normal for parents to set up a direct debit for their state school is quite shocking. It obviously isn't down to who is in charge either, as both parties have been up there since I left secondary decades ago.

Children are our future - it's bonkers it has got to this point. How is it fair that in areas where parents can't afford to pay, their children miss out??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now