Buckinghamshire Result Day 2019 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: Buckinghamshire Result Day 2019 entry

Post by anotherdad »

RobertBucks wrote:If only BCC could do something about this..
It's not a BCC problem, it's the grammar schools who are all academies and who work together to procure the test provider and set the rules. BCC carry out the administration on their behalf (and are paid to do so).
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

anotherdad wrote:
RobertBucks wrote:If only BCC could do something about this..
It's not a BCC problem, it's the grammar schools who are all academies and who work together to procure the test provider and set the rules. BCC carry out the administration on their behalf (and are paid to do so).
Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't aware of this. Perhaps an exam fee for anyone over 15 miles or some such may put off a few..
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Guest55 wrote:
RobertBucks wrote:Something to do on a Thursday morning ? :)
Along with depriving two Bucks based pupils of a GS place.
Please can you explain why it is 2 ?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's illegal to charge a fee. I think they could increase the % qualifying which would enable more Bucks students through then the OOC would not get places by distance.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Justinterested wrote:Along with depriving two Bucks based pupils of a GS place.
Please can you explain why it is 2 ?[/quote]

Three people take the test - a third ie one qualifie,s so two don't.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Guest55 wrote:It's illegal to charge a fee. I think they could increase the % qualifying which would enable more Bucks students through then the OOC would not get places by distance.
RobertBucks, this is what many of us believe is part of the solution to the problem of "11+ tourism" in Bucks. As Guest55 states, an adjustment to the cut-off so that, say, 40% of applicants achieve the qualifying score (rather than the approximate 32% it's currently set to) would mean a larger cohort of qualified children who would then be allocated places by distance, after the other criteria such as siblings, looked after children and so on.

40% might be overcooking it but there will be a sweet spot that meets the needs of qualified Bucks and border children whilst knocking out those who live miles away and are using it for a mock test or back-up option.
pu06

Post by pu06 »

Guest55 wrote:
pu06 wrote:I moved to barnet 4 years before,in 2014, 0.7 miles away from QEB. DS1 is in qeb year 10 and DS2 scored 266 for 2019 entry, so pretty sure he will get in as qeb is my first choice in CAF. Second choice is DAO. Third is Latymer. Last will be a bucks school, in which he got above 121. Do not post Bucks scores. standardised score. Thank you very much as you care about others time and effort, but this is irrelevant to you.
Why enter for a test where he has absolutely no chance of being offered a place?
Guest55, there is a chance if one moves before 31 october. The reason to apply for bucks was concern as a parent and I don’t think i need to explain that in the forum, where few members are ready to attack without knowing the circumstances. Thanks for your help and guidance, specially in maths section.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

anotherdad wrote:
Guest55 wrote:It's illegal to charge a fee. I think they could increase the % qualifying which would enable more Bucks students through then the OOC would not get places by distance.
RobertBucks, this is what many of us believe is part of the solution to the problem of "11+ tourism" in Bucks. As Guest55 states, an adjustment to the cut-off so that, say, 40% of applicants achieve the qualifying score (rather than the approximate 32% it's currently set to) would mean a larger cohort of qualified children who would then be allocated places by distance, after the other criteria such as siblings, looked after children and so on.

40% might be overcooking it but there will be a sweet spot that meets the needs of qualified Bucks and border children whilst knocking out those who live miles away and are using it for a mock test or back-up option.
Great post!

I find it extremely sad that people will go to any lengths to get a place or sit a test that’s 3rd choice knowing it would misplace a Bucks child. I feel the GS’s need to be taken to task on this ! Many children at my DD1 GS travel great distances and don’t support the extra curricular activities or the community. It’s really dog eat dog :cry: Dolly xx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pu06 wrote:
Guest55 wrote:
pu06 wrote:I moved to barnet 4 years before,in 2014, 0.7 miles away from QEB. DS1 is in qeb year 10 and DS2 scored 266 for 2019 entry, so pretty sure he will get in as qeb is my first choice in CAF. Second choice is DAO. Third is Latymer. Last will be a bucks school, in which he got above 121. Do not post Bucks scores. standardised score. Thank you very much as you care about others time and effort, but this is irrelevant to you.
Why enter for a test where he has absolutely no chance of being offered a place?
Guest55, there is a chance if one moves before 31 october. The reason to apply for bucks was concern as a parent and I don’t think i need to explain that in the forum, where few members are ready to attack without knowing the circumstances. Thanks for your help and guidance, specially in maths section.
What I don't understand is how you would have reconciled your older son's place at QEB with a move to Bucks for your younger son? Barnet and Bucks are quite some distance apart. Genuine question. :?:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sally-Anne wrote:What I don't understand is how you would have reconciled your older son's place at QEB with a move to Bucks for your younger son? Barnet and Bucks are quite some distance apart. Genuine question. :?:
Very quick move at that? Two weeks to up sticks and move.

I still have my Blue Peter badge somewhere btw. Perhaps I should mention it on the job application I am currently doing. What does anyone think? (Can't mention 11+ as I grew up in an area without it and my parents didn't think to take me to Buckinghamshire to try).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now