RGS and JHGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: RGS and JHGS

Post by BucksBornNBred »

BiscuitEater wrote:Yes, Guest55. There is a paid for after school football club for boys who don't make the team. That is not quite the impression boys get from hearing that "JHGS is a big football school, RGS is a big rugby school."

There are lots of reasons to choose JH - the parents I know with boys there are happy with the school. But DON'T make it all about football vs rugby!
As I say, I have no idea about sports at the school but I have noticed from the weekly newsletter that the sports fixtures seem to be equally split between rugby and football.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What I quoted above is taken directly from the website and it implied that football is part of the school curriculum; is that untrue?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:What I quoted above is taken directly from the website and it implied that football is part of the school curriculum; is that untrue?
Just asked DS and football and rugby are both part of the curriculum. Football is apparently played in Games and PE, but from Yr9(?) they are allowed to choose swimming instead of Games so DS has avoided both sports (a benefit as he loves swimming now, whereas he would probably be skulking at the side of a pitch kicking at the grass!)
greengekho

Post by greengekho »

Aha! I am very pleased to see Blueberry has already answered on this thread (I don't know how to tag her - someone please do if you know how to!) This time last year, the two of us were having the same dilemma (we do not know one another and have never met, we just pondered the old RGS/JHGS quandary on this forum). Blueberry's boy went to JHGS. Mine went to RGS.

Obviously I can only give a view on RGS, half a term in. Plus some opinions on open days in general.

My son loved RGS when he visited. I did not warm to it at all. I found it rather severe. I appreciate some may form an opinion that I found it severe due to that sort of environment being alien to me, but on the contrary, as an Oxbridge postgrad, I am more than used to very traditional, formal environments. Never the less I found it austere. Equally, never the less, my son loved it! He liked the formal feel. He felt it was a place of boundaries, and he takes comfort in that. I wouldn't describe him as a particularly serious child, but he appreciates order over a 'relaxed environment'. For exmaple, he liked the fact that the pupils stand when an adult enters the room at RGS.

Having said that, he had never played rugby and loved football. So we went the the JHGS fully expecting it to become his number one choice. Unfortunately, the tour was a total let down (more on that later), and so RGS was his preference.

Now that he is there, he loves it, though I imagine the boys and both schools feel the same. Transport and logistics should not be underestimated though - the fact that it is not much more than a mile away from our home reduces the amount of travel he endures each day, and allows more time for hobbies/homework. I often think folk do not prioritise logistics highly enough - but that is a personal view.

The boys in his class all seem to have settled well and bonded quickly. Obviously they are not robots, but from what I have seen so far, they are certainly of the same ilk!

Half a term in, my son has enjoyed learning rugby, but our fears of endless rugby tournaments after school/weekends has been avoided! He is a strong runner, and has already represented the school in that capacity instead, much to his (and my!) relief. I would not be telling the truth though if I didn't admit that initially, participation was laid on quite thick!

In terms of open days - I can offer a view there. My husband took our younger son around this year. He will sit the 11+ next year. It has been amazing how different we (my husband and I) have different views of the schools, based on that single hour that you get to go and visit them. I LOVED Chesham Grammar last year. If I could have chosen for my eldest son, it would have been my first choice. So my husband and youngest went fully expecting it to be awesome...and were actually quite disappointed! A despondent Yr9 left them with a lack lustre feel for the place. Similarly, when myself and eldest son went to JHGS last year, we felt the same (see, I did come back to this point eventually!) We were shown around by a pair of Yr7's who had only spent a few weeks there, and therefore had little knowledge to impart. We acknowledged that, but there was no getting away from the fact that it altered our perception of the school as a whole. It was my son (rather than myself) who said, "If they can't even get the tour right...what will the school be like!". Harsh! But understandable. At the end of the day we only get an hour, and a pot luck guide, to base our decisions on. Maybe JHGS open days this year will be amazing! I guess what I am saying is, even though it is pretty much the only first hand experience you have to go off...try not to let it make/break your decision. If you visit the next day you might have a completely different experience.

I hope this hasn't made things more confusing! At the end of the day, despite making different choices, I am sure both Blueberry's boy and my own are quite settled and happy in their respective schools! Good luck with your choice, and all the best for your son.
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post with such excellent feedback. We will visit RGS again tomorrow and discuss again with DS over half term. Ultimately we are in such a fortunate position to have two great school options and hopefully will make the right choice!

Thanks again.
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

greengekho wrote:He felt it was a place of boundaries, and he takes comfort in that. I wouldn't describe him as a particularly serious child, but he appreciates order over a 'relaxed environment'. For exmaple, he liked the fact that the pupils stand when an adult enters the room at RGS.
I was also under the impression that this was a difference between RGS and JHGS, but I have been informed by parents and children attending JH that this happens at there too.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Agree with BiscuitEater. DS tells me that they have to stand up whenever an adult enters the room too. However, I’d say that the vibe is more relaxed at JHGS than it is at RGS. And this is just based purely on my visits to both schools.

DS was almost in tears last night as our printer wasn’t working and he needed to print out his homework. He kept telling me he didn’t want to get a detention for not handing his homework in. And detentions have been given in year 7 already as well as behavioural points etc.

My main concern with JHGS and still remains a concern, is whether he will be pushed at JHGS.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

And greengekho it’s lovely to hear that your DS is settling so well at RGS :D
RobertBucks

Post by RobertBucks »

Thanks all, we went to RGS open morning and got a really good feeling about the school. We will think about the decision over half term.

A couple more questions, we have heard that more prep school kids go to RGS Vs JHGS, is that true? Also, the boys will be put in to sets beginning of Yr 7 I presume, has anyone had experience of their sons being near top of the year in primary and then ending up in lower set at grammar, was it a stress on your child or did they take it in their stride?

Thanks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know about these two schools, but the Bucks grammar schools that I do know of only set for maths & not until year 8.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now