Out of county applicants for 2019 test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Re: Out of county applicants for 2019 test

Post by loobylou »

Dreams, you also fundamentally misunderstand what "75% of our children get A*-C" means. For most schools that means that 75% get a certain number (usually 5) A*-C. This doesn't mean that done children get all A*-C and 25% of them don't get any GCSEs.
I have lots of friends whose children have achieved 7/8 (or A in old money) in a couple of subjects but a 3/D in one subject, for example because they struggled with a language.
Most people are not absolutely brilliant at everything or absolutely terrible at everything.
My DD and several of her peers got GCSE results that you would approve of but they were in a semi selective school and there were plenty of students in her classes who achieved much lower grades but still contributed and didn't detract from her results.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

ToadMum wrote:
Um, I think they do, actually?
Priority is given to children closer to the schools, but only after they've all sat the exam. So even though the OOC children are unlikely to get places, they will have already affected the score distribution of the cohort.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Deb70 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Priority is given to children closer to the schools, but only after they've all sat the exam. So even though the OOC children are unlikely to get places, they will have already affected the score distribution of the cohort.
True.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ringo25

Post by ringo25 »

Deb70 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

I think the fairest way would be to base the pass mark on the kids that take the test who live within Buckinghamshire or are out of county BUT live within a catchment of a grammar school. Anyone that is out of county AND out of catchment should be welcome to take the test, but if the score is distributed as above, hopefuly less children that are in county/catchment will not get displaced.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ringo25 wrote:
Deb70 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

I think the fairest way would be to base the pass mark on the kids that take the test who live within Buckinghamshire or are out of county BUT live within a catchment of a grammar school. Anyone that is out of county AND out of catchment should be welcome to take the test, but if the score is distributed as above, hopefuly less children that are in county/catchment will not get displaced.
that is basically the way the North Yorks pass mark is set - it is the figure acheived 28% of the IN AREA candidates - OOC candidates (who on average score higher as they are self selected) do not influence the figure which would be higher if they were included
The required academic standard for entry into Ermysted’s is determined by the Local Authority selection scheme, which uses the GL Assessment tests to define the standard as that achieved by the highest scoring 28% of all Year 6 boys who live within the catchment area (defined in Appendix A).
CantCount

Post by CantCount »

When you look at the total allocation data there is a steady base of about 20/25% of places which got to pupils outside the Bucks. Some of them are in the extended catchment but I assume quite a few aren’t.
jxp

Post by jxp »

The real problem is not "OoC heartless enemies" but not transparent and discriminating process of identifying children who want and must be academically challenged, not enough local grammar schools
The selection criteria should be based on scores alone. The score + catchment is the problem.

It is frustrating for parents who move to catchment of GS and even then their children do not qualify!

Some schools (like Dr Challoner, Watford GS) even have the indecency to bar children (even after qualifying) if their parents own previous property within 20 miles!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

jxp wrote:
The real problem is not "OoC heartless enemies" but not transparent and discriminating process of identifying children who want and must be academically challenged, not enough local grammar schools
The selection criteria should be based on scores alone. The score + catchment is the problem.

It is frustrating for parents who move to catchment of GS and even then their children do not qualify!

Some schools (like Dr Challoner, Watford GS) even have the indecency to bar children (even after qualifying) if their parents own previous property within 20 miles!
I don't think you will find many people in Bucks who agree with you. Remember it is a wholy selective system here, not super selective. Bucks children who do not pass the 11 plus go to Upper schools. One way of looking at it is to question why the Bucks grammar schools should be filled with highly tutored children from out of Buckinghamshire travelling miles to go to school while the local children, whose families have committed to the local area, go to Upper schools, which may or may not be good.
scary mum
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

jxp wrote:
There are schools like that. I personally think schools should be communities rather than universities though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now