How do we find out Scores?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Agree the 11+ is competitive and some parents are worse than others but then I found that at Primary School with the inevitable band of 'Committee Mums' who descend upon you with alarming regularity :roll:

Please bear in mind though that people from other areas and who have nothing to contribute to the Devon forum probably view the posts. I certainly look at other areas to see how we in Devon fare alongside them.
Brag-a-lot

Scores

Post by Brag-a-lot »

The only real exposure I got to competitive pushy parents was not at school, but in the foyer of Devonport. Whilst waiting for our daughter to escape the exam room, the general buzz was about how many papers little Jenny had done etc etc. We didn't push our daughter hard, she worked at her own rate and under her own motivation and fortunately, peaked at just the right time.

We are rightly proud of her and her score which in no way detracts from the disappointment that those who did not get selected for Grammar will feel.

Post by Guest »

next year hopeful wrote:I for one am very interested in the scores,I woul also be interested in how the translate into scores that the children acchieved in the practice papers.

I ahve a child who might sit the 11plus next year and have no idea what to aim for!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
If it helps you my daughter was scoring above 90% consistently in VR and also in maths (maths is her strongest subject, she can't write creatively though!) and she got a score of 282 for PHS.

She started off scoring around 85%, some of her peers were scoring lower at the start of last March and ended up in the high 90s on practice papers. Such a lot of it is learning the techniques and then practice, practice, practice.

11+ entrance essay

Post by Guest »

I am hoping that my oldest daughter can take the 11+ next year, but i have just been told by another parent about an essay they have to write before being allow to take the 11+. Can anyone give me some more information about this?
Saltash Mum 30

Re: 11+ entrance essay

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Anonymous wrote:I am hoping that my oldest daughter can take the 11+ next year, but i have just been told by another parent about an essay they have to write before being allow to take the 11+. Can anyone give me some more information about this?
Part of the 11+ process this year was an English essay, taken on the same day as the Verbal Reasoning test. There were several topics and the girls could choose one to write about. However this was only to be looked at in the event of an appeal.

There was no pre-test in operation by the Plymouth Local Authority.

Hope that helps :)
Hallie

Post by Hallie »

No pre-test here in Devon LEA either : but English essay and comprehension is part of actual 11+ test
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Thought I'd reply to 'Guest' seeing as I was the person who started the thread! I don't see anything wrong in knowing the actual score - after all, if you took an exam wouldn't you want to know exactly how well you did? Of course the 11+ is competitive and after the blood sweat and tears of both me AND my daughter I think I deserve to know! My daughter scored 267 anyway which Im extremely proud of. I don't know why the LEA don't publish the scores as a matter of course, if you were appealing you would need to know wouldn't you?

Well done to all those girls - you should be proud of yourself - as should all those parents who put in possibly as much effort as their children.

Its been all I can do to restraint myself from telling everyone I see about my daughters success. 'Guest', there's nothing wrong with healthy competition!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now