Dorset Parent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

solimum

Post by solimum »

Dear Dorset Parent

Just another word of reassurance - none of my children tried for grammar school at 11 - the nearest ones were I felt too far away for a daily commute for them at that age, given that we had a good 11-16 mixed comprehensive school within walking distance where most of their friends would go. My mum was similarly anxious at the time (my siblings and I all went to Kent grammars) The middle child did very well at GCSE and was offered a place at a top boys grammar for A levels (based on interview and his mock GCSE results) and is really enjoying it - and I don't feel he missed out by not going at 11 - the combination of the two types of school has made him a well-rounded person and the extra travelling is less of an issue at 17 (we can even put on the L-plates and let him drive home on occasions!).

The next 5 years will go very fast!

Good luck!
Dorset Parent

Post by Dorset Parent »

Dear All - I have really appreciated every single message that you have sent in response to my posting on the outcome. I have got something from each posting and I hope you realise how much it has meant. Guest55 thanks for your prompt response and I notice you have been supporting other people who haven't "got in". What a great thing to do. USA - we went to an info evening on SATS this week and are gearing up for that. Rosey I feel honoured you've dipped into this quiet Dorset section and thanks for your kind words. Your posts have amused me in the other Forum. Bmth Guest thanks for your reassurance on the school and you are right - she does like the uniform! (very practical too). DM - I appreciate your post and I'm hope you will like living in Bmth. You will have my PM by now on test info. Solimum thanks for your perspective from your son coming out the other side of an 11 -16 secondary school and it all turning out well. It's just what I need to hear.
Bournemouth

Post by Bournemouth »

Dear exited mum!

MY son passed last year and goes to Bournemouth School. He loves it.
Children who came in the top 150 for all 2 tests were offered a place straight away and those who got 2 out of the 3 or within 3% were considered borderline and a report from current school was required.
I was told by the school that 1/3 of pupils in the test the year before were borderline.
The website says it's the top 17% but the head told us it was roughly top 20%
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Dear Bournemouth
Thanks for the info regarding the pass rates etc. We cant gauge at all how he has done, so its just a case of waiting for that envelope to drop on the doormat. Will let you know. So pleased your son is happy at the school, It looks a fab school, as does St Peters which my son is very keen on. Not long to wait now, Hopefully by the summer we will be settled in our new home and life.
DM
(excited mum)
Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi DM.

I really hope you are successful !!

Fingers (and toes) crossed for you.

Good Luck in your new life in Bourenmouth ..

Let us all know how it goes..26th.

Darren
dissapointed mum

Hi Darren
Thanks for your kind words. I will let you know how he has got on, and where we end up. Im so looking forward to our new life by the sea. I grew up in Cape Town and lived on the beach, so for my kids to now have the same pleasure as I had growing up brings me great joy and excitement. :D :D :D :lol:
watch this space!!!
DM
(Excited mum)
Darren

Post by Darren »

Great News DM..!!

What's the Schools like compared to Bucks ?

You seem very happy with what you have seen.

Darren
dissapointed mum

Hi Darren,
From what I looked up on the Ofsted site, some of them are pretty poor, but there seems to be improvement in a couple of them. We have got our sights set on St Peters which looks absolutely fantastic, and has a superb ofsted report. My son really likje this school, It is a Catholic School so you have to fit the criteria to get into it, and fortunately we do. In fact my son is pretty religious and questions our vicar on a lot ogf things in the bible that he finds strange!!We have placed that as our first choice, and the grammar if succesfull as our second choice, and Kings as our third. There is another fantastic school which is in Christchurch though called Twyneham, but we will not be in catchment for this school, so will not get in there. Why do you ask ? Thinking of moving???!!! I also have a 2year old, so will have to start looking at nurserys and primary school, but just want to get the senior school sorted out first. Im not sure how they all compare to Bucks schools, as we are actually in Berks, so I didnt look at any Bucks schools besides the grammars.Kings school probably compares just the same as to our local secondary school which my son will go to if all sales etc fall through, and we dont get to move down before September. Fingers crossed, we will get that buyer for our house long before then!
DM
Darren

Post by Darren »

ooops! I always thought you were Bucks!!

Good Luck for St Peters. Let us all know how it goes..
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi DM,

Glad to see that your are happy with your son's new school prospects.

Best wishes

Catherine
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now